• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Pam Ericson's e-mail address ?

Sven

Seglare
When our computers got stolen in 2004 I lost a lot of e-mail addresses, Pam King's was one of them. Now that we are buying a "new" beautiful Ericson I'd like to contact her and buy another set of blueprints.

Does anyone happen to have her e-mail address ? I can't remember how I originally found it many years ago. Feel free to privately message me or e-mail me if you don't wont to post it publicly where spam-bots might harvest it.

Thanks,

-Sven

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I did not know you could get copies of the blueprints. Would somebody mind sending me her adddress? I met her, Bruce and Martin a few years back. They are very nice.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Hey guys- What's the secrecy about? If blue prints are available we should get them for the site rather than going after it one person at a time.

In the past, I tried to get them by going to Don Kohlman. He said they were all lost.

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Being in the "Blueprint" business (there are not actually "blue" any more!) I suspect that they may not want to give us the files/prints as they probably charge a fee each time they make a set and send them out. If they "give" them to us to distribute, they lose that potential business.
Maybe this is not the case, but architects (naval or otherwise) generally like to be paid for their work!

Sven

Seglare
The prints I bought for La Petite a few years ago were indeed blue-prints, rolled up in a tube. If you are into yacht design they are a lot of fun to study and I still do every now and then.

They are presumably still under copyright so they can't be duplicated for distribution without the CR owners permission.

I sure hope they weren't all lost but I did contact www.brucekingdesign.com to ask.

-Sven

Lucky Dog

Member III
Count me in on the "blueprints"

I have 35-II. This last week I took a saw to the underside of the spongy deck. Am doing my own CSI show pulling out window/ports, chain plates, and plywood bulkhead.
It would be so much easier if i knew how the boat was put together.

mark

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Ericson Construction details

Mark,
Your dealing with wet core material would likely not be aided by having Mr. Kings' drawings for your Ericson.
Here's a stretch to give an example, An Architect designs what we precieve as a beautiful building, it is not he but a Civil Engineer who designs the foundation and a Structural Engineer who designs the internal steelwork that holds the whole effort up. Each of those diciplines respect the Architects' concepts in actually designing their part of the structure. Then, to get those components actually built or fabricated and erected it takes another layer of engineering and detailing to be performed.
Designing a Yacht I think is different in the sense that shape, displacement and ballast determines comfort and safety, add on a sailplan and the whole determines performance. Beyond that, it would be the builder who would produce details of actual construction. I believe typically Yacht Designers are much more practical in the execution of their designs working with the manufacturers and builders to produce their designs. The drawings produced by Mr. King don't go down to the level of detail you're looking for. That would be I believe "detailing" work done by Ericson with Mr. Kings' input while the build plan was being developed for each model.
The set of drawings I acquired for my Independence 31 as soon as I purchased her have been valuable in other ways. I bought a trailer last year (while the boat was in the water) and used the Hull Lines drawing to decide if a trailer that had been geared up to handle a Pacific Seacraft 37 could be altered to suit my little I 31. I was then able to develop from the Lines drawing the station plan at each of the intervals where the Supports should be relocated on the trailer for appropriate width and height. I had to make a guestimate about where the dry CG would be but, the boat dropped on to the trailer the supports fit as intended and according to the fellow who hauls her for me, the trailer handles just fine.
Photo Link http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-1/1138028/trailer2web.JPG
Unfortunate reality of a wet core, it's an external problem associated with both age and ownweship, rebed and reseal hardware and fittings and it never would happen!

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Soooo...

If "blueprints" are available, what models are they available for and how much is being charged for them?

E30+

???

SurabyaKid

Member III
Hi All,

I sent an email request off to BruceKingDesign.com and so far have not received the favor of a reply.

Is the email address for Pam King different and have others had more luck with that address?

Pat
"Pronto"
Ericson 26-2

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I have an email dialogue open with Pam right now. I will find out what models/which documents they have available and how she prefers to be contacted.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Pam says she has many plans for most of the Ericson models. She also said it would be a huge endeavor to catalog them all for us. She is willing to have her email provided to those who would like copies of anything she has. If you would like her address feel free to contact me via PM and I will give it to you. I got her address from Greg Ross so he may also be willing to respond.

12/3/2015 update
I no longer have this info.

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Like pulling teeth...

As I said before, what's the secret?

Why not post the address and let us know what they charge for a set, a sheet, or however they charge? I know they don't want a thousand separate emails asking the same questions.

Did you inquire as to whether they would object to having them posted on this site? If not,someone should.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Tom, I am not sure that the price I paid would be the same for all boats. She said it would be okay to post her email but I will not do it as it can easily be picked up by web scanners and used against them. She did not seem bothered to answer individual emails as needed.

I also did not feel comfortable asking them to post them on this site. This is Bruce's intellectual property and should be treated as such. I feel they are doing us a favor as is.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I also did not feel comfortable asking them to post them on this site. This is Bruce's intellectual property and should be treated as such. I feel they are doing us a favor as is.

Excellent call, Tim. First off, my dad is retired. The design office is shut
down, and they don't keep any regular hours any more. Secondly, the
originals reside in big flat files and have to be dug out and then blueprints
run off, tubed, and then mailed. I think that whatever she charges
barely covers the fixed costs. They used to do this as a courtesy
for people back when things were up and running and even then
it was a pita. Nowadays, if she sends you some drawings, she is
doing you a big favor. And yes it's all copyrighted and not to be sold
or reproduced in any form or fashion including this site.

Martin

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Martin - Everything you say is true, & I understand that. That being said, I do not think anyone on this list, or anyplace else, wants to steal any of your father's 20+ year old Ericson designs. We are looking for how the systems on our boats were put together. Electrical and plumbing diagrams would satisfy most of us.

This is information which was included in the owner's manuals of boats I have owned in the past. Don Kohlman, then at PSC, would have sent them to me had they not been lost in the move.

If the information is not available, so be it. If it is available, make it available.

I don't see where it makes sense to have to pull drawings, make prints, and mail multiple times for the same boat. As you said, the money is minimal and people on the site would be happy to pay for the desired drawings.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Tom,
You should reread Greg Ross's post. A yacht designer does the lines
plans, sail plans, accomodations, etc. The stuff you are looking for
like electrical and plumbing was handled in house by Ericson's engineering
department. Those drawings were lost to the wind in the liquidation
sale. The best source for those now are owners who already have
a copy.

Regarding your comment about "people wanting to steal my dad's
20 year old designs" completely misses the real issue which is