• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New engine intake hose for a 38-200

Bob Robertson

Member III
Hi,
I’m a little embarrassed about procrastinating for so long about this, but I just haven’t been able to figure out a reasonable solution.

I have a 1988 38-200. The engine is under the companionway stairs and the water intake through hull for the engine is under the galley sink.

The 20 year old hose is freaking me out. I’ve tried numerous ways to pull a new hose using the existing hose, but nothing seems to work. I really, really don’t want to pull up the cabin sole.

Do any of the other 38-200 owners have experience they could share on how they have replaced this hose?

Thanks,
Bob

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I am not familiar with the -200 version of the E38 but am I to understand that the raw water hose runs UNDER the sole from the seacock to the engine? If so, I think you would have to options. You say you cannot use the old hose to pull a new hose through? I take it you are trying to connect them with a union and hose clamps? They don't fit through the spaces? If so, try this. Run a length of line through the old hose, thread it through a length of new hose as well. Tie a knot, bar or tool on the end of the new hose and then use the line to pull the old and then the new hose into place. No hose clamps to hang up and you can pull hard and wiggle the new hose around to get it through. Or if at all possible reroute the hose to a more accessible path. Pics would be great. RT

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Bob - As I remember, and looking at the brochure, the E-38-200 is very similar to the layout of the E-34. I was able to pull my new hose by just using a nylon dbl hose barb with no clamps. Clamps would not go through the grid. I did a combination of pushing and pulling to keep the force reasonable. There were no ties in the section under the sole or under the engine pan.

I had an advantage in that I had a picture with the sole out. I hope my picture helps you.

The engine intake hose is the one with the green stripe highest in the picture.

Attachments

• floor 3.jpg
    floor 3.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 76

u079721

Contributing Partner
I used to wonder how I would ever get that done on our 1989 E38 too, but I never got around to it before we sold the boat in 2004. One suggestion I could offer came from a similar project some years ago. It can make it a lot easier to run hose through openings if you cover the hose first with something that is very slippery, so that it doesn't get hung up. In a pinch I once did this by just wrapping the outside of the hose with duct tape, which offered much less friction than the bare rubber surface of the new hose. Best thing I ever found to do this was a very slippery hairnet like polyethylene tube that we had at work in rolls to hold bundled cable (sorry but I don't have a source).

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Plan C (maybe):
Our boat had the stock engine intake under the galley module, with the hose running aft thru some small holes bored thru the hat stringers to the engine. It was quite an "interesting" sort of routing. Ericson must have liked putting the engine intake under the sink! :)

When we had the haul out to replace all the old Marlon thru hulls, we asked the yard to move the intake back under the after berth. That provided a lot more room for a strainer, and the routing up the starboard side of the frp engine bed was a lot cleaner, too.

The old opening was filled in with roving and bi-axial cloth.

What is worth keeping in mind is that with an FRP hull, you can do stuff like this sometimes easier than spending days and days trying to replicate a factory method that may not have been optimal in the first place. :rolleyes:

In our case there was some additional labor cost, but since we were already paying them for replacing four other sea cocks, it was not too much more.

Between spending your time and/or your money, sometimes it helps to take a wider view of a problem like this one, is all I am trying to say.

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

Bob Robertson

Member III
Thanks Rob, Tom and Steve,

Good ideas and good information.

At one point I did try a nylon dbl hose barb with a single piece of Tarp tape to hold it in place.

Tom the layout of your 34 is very similar to my 38. The hose leaves the galley area on the port side of the boat and then enters the engine compartment on the starboard side. So, it forms an s or z shape. It enters the engine compartment along with the large hose from the manual bilge pump and a few of the grey water lines. It's a fairly tight opening.

I have tried to pull the hose from the engine end and then the galley end, but it won't budge. I'm not sure if it's tangled or jammed somehow with the water lines and/or the bilge hose. I guess I need to take a small mirror and try to figure out what's going on with the other hoses. Perhaps I should get a very small very sophisticated camera mounted on a small flexible shaft. (My wife loves it when I buy early Christmas presents for her.)

I hadn't thought about it before and I really like the idea of running a line through the old hose and the new one. I seems like it could be more like pushing the hose through or it might offer the flexibility to push and pull depending on what's needed during the process.

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Pulling/pushing hose.

Bob, Loren makes a good suggestion but if you still want to use the same routing, consider getting a bottle of electrical wire lubricant. It's used for pulling/pushing wire in old black pipe conduit and might be just the thing for slicking up the hoses to help them move. Good luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Bob Robertson

Member III
Hi Loren,

That is an excellant Idea!

Ideally, I prefer to have easy access to the thru hulls, but if I can't get the hose replaced another way I will absolutely move the thru hull. It sure beats pulling up the cabin sole in that area.

I think my boat is like yours and the only place I can think to move it right now is under the quarter berth, but I have all winter to think about it.

I'm OK installing the thru hull myself, but I'll have the guys in the shop patch the old hole.

Thanks,
Bob