• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Upgrading from V-belts to Serpentine

saildog

Why not just order the alternator from Balmar with a 3/8 pulley since all of the pulleys on your Universal are sized for 3/8? This should prevent the belts from shredding. You would need a 80- 90 amp alternator that would be sized for the 3/8 belt but the Balmar regulator would keep the charge up to max until you batteries reach 80% and them step the charge down.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Saildog - The angles are the same on 3/8" and 1/2" belts of this type, so if the 3/8" belt works so will the other. Using a 1/2" belt on a 3/8" pulley causes it to ride a little proud, not a problem. I've been doing it for years.

You can see it in the pic I posted yesterday, Reply#12, upper left corner:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=8317

Using a 3/8" belt in a 1/2" pulley might cause the belt to bottom out which would be a problem. Standard Balmar pulleys are designed for both sizes.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
belts and Serpents

This thread is a few years old, but generating power from small diesels is as necessary as ever.

So, Here we are in a future where Betamarine nowadays (AFAIK) has gone to flat ("serpentine") belts on all of their engines.
My new Beta 25 has one. No 'idler' pulley like a car, and the vendor tells me that due to the short distances on all tensioned sides it does not need it.

I removed the belt briefly and also the crank pulley to change the input pipe for the raw water pump. It seems pretty easy to re-tension it to the factory spec.

BTW, I visited the web site referenced above, and the product description talks about Yanmar engines and Hitachi alternators. I would not risk any money with them without a lot more information first. The title and the narrative below it do not match up.

Last edited: