• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

2009 Rendezvous Planning

wurzner

Member III
If we are planning an event for 2009, it is time to start thinking about the logistics of where and collecting dues to reserve slips. Most of the marina's are charging reservation fees that are not applied to the actual moorage fees. I would encourage the list to get active on talking about when and where so we can lock in the dates Jan 2nd. I'm not sure if it going to be north or south of the boarder since I'm not sure if we had an event this year. In trying to keep with alternating countries, I 'm not sure where 2009 lands.

It would be a shame to not get an event in since the one's I have attended were very fun and it would be nice to get together again.

shaun

Special K

Member II
Rendezvous 2009

I am finishing up my first season as an Ericson owner. We are looking forward to meeting other owners from the Northwest. In looking at the pictures from the prior event held in Port Townsend, the facilities seemed adequate. What was the general impression as Port Townsend as a location?

Peter

e38sailorman

Member II
Port Townsend was OK a few years ago, another thought would be Port Lundlow, not much farther for those coming from Canada or the San Juans and a real nice place.

Marc
E38 WaveWalker

CaptDan

Member III
Port Townsend was OK a few years ago, another thought would be Port Lundlow, not much farther for those coming from Canada or the San Juans and a real nice place.

Marc
E38 WaveWalker

Good time to be discussing this.

How are the facilities at Ludlow - in terms of gathering places, motels for non-sailing participants, etc? Both Sydney and Townsend were suitable in that regard, I thought.

In any event, I'm with Shaun - I've had great times at the Ericson get togethers and it would be a shame if 2009 passed without another.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Tom Plummer

Member III
As it happens we, the Admiral and I, were forced out of our berth in Anacortes for a whole month this year. During that time I hauled the boat at the Port of Everett facility for bottom paint and inspection.

When all of this was completed we decided to take nostalgia cruise to the places we frequented back when we were home ported in Everett.

That cruise included among others the following ports of call:

Liberty Bay, The Poulsbo City Marina’s visitor docks were pretty much deserted but in excellent shape. The city is a nice place to visit with many hotels and restaurants. There is a multipurpose room to hold a gathering indoors and there is a city park right there which could be used as long as the weather is cooperating. It is not a port of entry for U.S. Customs

Port Ludlow, while the docks were not in the best shape and the bathroom facilities were not particularly clean there is an upscale hotel. The Resort at Port Ludlow, right at the marina the rates for this hotel range from $145.67 to $665.67 per night. There is a covered meeting place ashore. There is no real city here and unless you eat at the resort the nearest café is a mile hike. Additionally it is not a port of entry for U.S. Customs.

Port Townsend, The Port Hudson Marina is new and in excellent shape has a meeting room, RV Park, and a restaurant on site. There are 15 hotels/inns/Bed and Breakfasts within one mile of the marina. Additionally there are 21 restaurants within a mile of the marina. While Port Hudson itself is not a U.S. port of entry the Port Townsend Boat Haven is and it is located about a mile from Port Hudson.

S Ellis

Member I
Port of entry

Just to set the record straight......Pt Townsend is definitely NOT aport of entry, as I found out in June after sailing over from Victoria. I was scolded like a schoolboy by US customs for not knowing that Pt Angeles is where I should have been!! Friday Harbour & roche Harbour are you're other options.
Steve

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Picking the Date & Place

In the past there has been discussion about setting a date in June that would be best for the greatest number of owners. Many weekends have significance to some families, and not-so-much for others. Fathers' Day is June 21 in 2009. Is this a weekend to be avoided? (Not for us, I would point out.)

Then, there is the trend of planning for vacation time on boats in the main "summer vacation window" of June thru August.

Additionally, for those living south of Puget Sound, there is transit time up and down the Washington coast. It is really nice to have a destination like Pt Townsend, where us distant Vikings can easily choose to drive or even fly to, if need be.

Customs procedures seem to affect (afflict?) owners from either side, whichever country they start from. The only consideration I can see is trying to pick a harbor at or very near a port-of-entry.

From reading the cruising plans and narratives of others, it looks like many plan to be north (inside or outside of Vancouver Is) by mid summer. That would seem to rule out July. Or, would it?

Some input from more Ericson and Olson owners from both sides of the border is needed. Also, are there a bunch of owners from the populous central Puget Sound region that could make it to a weekend rendezvous anywhere in the main Sound if they took off a Friday and Monday from their work?

Lots of questions, and this seems like the time to discuss alternatives and solutions.

Regards,
Loren
:egrin:

Last edited:

CaptDan

Member III
are there a bunch of owners from the populous central Puget Sound region that could make it to a weekend rendezvous anywhere in the main Sound if they took off a Friday and Monday from their work?
Regards,
Loren
:egrin:

I could - especially if I have enough advance notice. I'd like to sail to the event this coming year if possible, but there are always alternatives.

Anyone else?

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

hodo

Member III
Hello everyone, prety much anytime after the first weekend in June works for us. Fathers day weekend is good, as mine are grown, and work this around for my benefit. We are just about done with the house, and my job is being outsourced as of 12/31, so I just need to figure that out. If it works, I may be able to have the summer off! oh, Port Townsend is good for us, but don't forget about Oak Harbor It is good too, and the yacht club ther is pretty congenial. The main conflict there would be Race Week in July.
Stay dry, Harold and Jessie.

hodo

Member III
2009, Rendezvous

Who is going to take the lead for the 09 get together? Shaun,would that be you? should the person be from the US or Canada or does it matter? I know we need to be getting our contacts in soon, both for moorage and gifts. Anyone?
Harold

wurzner

Member III
Just to set the record straight......Pt Townsend is definitely NOT aport of entry, as I found out in June after sailing over from Victoria. I was scolded like a schoolboy by US customs for not knowing that Pt Angeles is where I should have been!! Friday Harbour & roche Harbour are you're other options.
Steve

Steve, something isn't making sense here while respecting that you were flamed by customers. I have clearedt here numberous times with no problem. Also, here is a direct cut and paste from Port Hudson's Website

" U.S. Customs Port Townsend Office

All vessels and aircraft arriving in the Port Townsend area from other nations are required to report to the U.S. Customs officer in Port Townsend. Our normal business hours are 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Please call 360-385-3777 during business hours to coordinate your arrival with a Customs officer.

We prefer to meet inbound vessels at the Port Townsend Boat Haven fuel dock. Please do not block the fuel pumps when you tie up to await our arrival. (The best spot, if open, is at the red dot in the photo below.) To avoid any delays in your post-arrival plans or ongoing travel, please contact us during our normal business hours if you plan to arrive after hours or on the weekend."

They do only work limited hours as noted above, but I just got off the phone with the agent and he would be willing to work with us. That would likely mean having multiple boats arrive together so it would require some planning for the folks north of the border unfortunately. They have done this to support the wooden boat festival and Swifture, but they (he) was instructed to write up warning letters to folks who showed up after hours without appointments.

That being said, hopefully this makes things a little easier for the folks north of the border??

regards
shaun

regards
shaun

wurzner

Member III
Rendez Vous

I will contact Port Townsend and just try and reserve a block of slips if possible and then folks can call in with their CC's. I will check for the weekend of June 12 and the 19th and if they are willing to work with me, I will post it back here. I'm recently unemployeed and even if I wasn't, wouldn't be interested in putting up a CC since coordinating one of these events has proven to be a logistical nitemare based on past experiences.

Happy New Years

Shaun

Kerry Kukucha

Member II
From North of 49

Hello All:

We'd welcome an opportunity to rendezvous - from Vancouver however, & assuming some of us would try to make it a 2 or 3 day weekend only (oh, the curse of still having to work!), I'd suggest that some place like Roche Harbour might be ideal for us canucks!:egrin:

Special K

Member II
2009 Rendezvous

I just spoke to Point Hudson Marina. They currently have space for the weekend of June 12-13. Slips available are 32 foot and 40 foot. 32 foot slip is $35 a night with shore power ($70), while the 40 foot slip is $43 a night with shore power ($86). Arrival time is noon Friday, with departure by noon on Sunday. The reservation fee is $7 per boat would be due to reserve a slip. The marina would need a breakdown of the number of boats and the sizes.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When you say "12/13", are you talking about booking a Fri and a Sat night?
The weekend dates on my calendar would be Saturday the 13th and Sunday the 14th.
The rendezvous plan would then be for boats to arrive Friday and depart Sunday afternoon...
Have I got that right?

http://www.portofpt.com/point_hudson.htm

If I understand their rate sheet on line, our 34 footer would be charged $34./night plus a $3 electricity fee for shore power. That's a higher than guest dock fees on our river, but sounds about par for Puget Sound marinas...
(??)

Thanks,
Loren

Last edited:

Special K

Member II
The available slips at Port Hudson are either 32 feet or 40 feet. Unfortunately, they charge by the slip length, not the boat length. The person I spoke to said that they normally book events of this type as arriving after noon on Friday, and leaving by noon on Sunday.

It would be up to individual owners to make reservations, unless someone wants to take on the job of being the organizer.