• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fuel Tank E 32

west

Member I
Hi folks, I have a leaky fuel tank on my 1985 e 32 mk lll. 18 gal aluminum tank. Can we still get a replacement from the original manufacturer? Should I look at having someone custom make a new one? The boat yard in Sausalito is asking between $800-1150 for a new one. Way too much!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Glyn Judson

Original tank maker still around.

Dear West, Get the exact measurements of the tank including all opening locations and ground tabs, etc, then call Berry Sheet Metal at 949.548.3613 and talk to them about making a replacement tank for you. There's a good chance that they might even have the original plans that they could match to the specs you supply them with. I can't imagine it costing you as much as you've already been quoted. Please keep all on the list posted. Good luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
There were two companies that made fuel tanks for Ericson. Both of them are/were in the same area. One was Berry Sheet Metal and the other was a company called Custom Marine. I think they also made stanchions and other hardware for Ericson.

Custom Marine had a website recently at fabricationworkshop.com, but now it seems to be inactive. Here is the contact info that was listed prior to the site going inactive:

Custom Marine / Fabrication Workshop
15171 Pipeline
Huntington Beach
CA 92649

Tel / Fax; 949-675-2607
8am - 5pm M - F PST
(Please phone for an appointment before visiting, ask for Richard or John)

We recently replaced the leaking tank in our E30+ with a tank from Berry Sheet Metal. Although the tank fit the space, I was not completely impressed with the quality of the workmanship. None of the mounting tabs on either side of the tank were lined up straight. And the fuel pickup tube was too long and would have gouged the bottom of the tank when the fitting was fully seated.

One other issue (which may have nothing to do with Berry Sheet Metal) is the capacity of the tank. The specs that can be found on this forum for the E30+ show the fuel tank capacity to be 25 gal. The label on the old tank said 22 gal. And when I went to fill my new tank last weekend, when the fuel gauge read 1/4 full in calm water, the tank overflowed when the pump got to 9.3 gal.

I guess a positive thing about the Berry tank is that it is made of .125" aluminum and it does work. The original tanks were made of .090" aluminum. The cost was also reasonable at about $450.

If I had known about Custom Marine before ordering the tank I would have talked to them, too. But we didn't pull the old tank until the new one was ready to drop in, so didn't find the old label until it was too late...

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Be sure you can remove/replace the tank in one piece, my E29 tank had to have the 4" of the deep coener cut off to remove the tank.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Regarding removal. When I removed the tank from the E30+ it was rather tricky getting the plywood tank cover out. After removing the hot water heater, I had to disconnect the manual bilge pump and secure it out of the way. Then it was still a bit of a puzzle to figure out how to orient the cover to get it to come out through the port lazarette. The water heater and the tank came out easily.

Then, of course, when I went to install the new tank cover I made, I couldn't remember how I got the old one out, so I had to go through the whole puzzle over again...

Let us know if Custom Marine is still around and current contact info if you are able to reach them.

Last edited:

JORGE

Member III
went to POLy

I bought a poly tank, it is not a metal custom piece, but it works(using diesel now).

west

Member I
The e 32 I have has the tank under the quater berth. It is out now and was not a problem. The bigest problem with the tank is it has a notch in the foward corner that has the wires to the float and valves comming out. It won't be just a normal tank shape. Does anyone else have this setup?

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Berry Sheet Metal had the original drawings for the E30+ tank. They may have them for the 32 also. As might Custom Marine if they are still in business.