• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

dinghy davits on a 35-II ?

boethius27

Member II
Anyone seen dinghy davits put on a 35-II? I'd love to be able to bring my dinghy along without having to haul it on deck or listen to it slap the water in tow the entire time, but I feel like it'd just look funny. This boat has such nice lines that I hate to detract from style with a big ol dinghy hanging off the stern.

Pictures are certainly welcome!

thanks all.
-Justin

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Please don't spoil the lines of a beautiful Ericson with davits! I just can't stand the way boats end up looking like "waterbago's" these days. Ugg!

I put the dink on the foredeck. Do you have a spinnaker halyard? I just tie a length of line from a hole in the corner of one side of the transom and then run the other side to one of the D towing rings on the bow. The line has a loop in the center, hook to the spinnaker halyard and crank it up on deck. My wife does this with me and it takes about 3 minutes to load the 10.4ft Achilles. Unloading is even easier, tie off painter and toss over the side. Works for us. But hey, its your boat!

RT

u079721

Contributing Partner
My dockmate had davits on his E35II, and they weren't all THAT ugly (sorry, but I don't have a photo). The problem, however, is that the boat didn't have enough reserve buoyancy aft to handle that much weight, and it squatted fairly badly.

Why not instead look into one of those systems that just gets the dinghy stern or bow out of the water? I've seen a number of those in use on the Great Lakes and it looks like a good solution for smaller boats.

Chris A.

Member III
Food for thought

I agree that davits don't have a lot of aesthetic value, but like most things in boats they are a compromise. If you want the dink with you all or most of the time, I think it's a very handy feature and not THAT bad for the looks.

Towing and storing on the deck have downsides as well.

Here are some pics of what I consider a good setup...

Davits on Peregrine

Davits underway

More davits

boethius27

Member II
That does still look pretty nice. Thanks for posting that Chris. I'm still undecided, but at least I have a better idea of what it would look like.

The trouble is that we have a dog and so we are always using the dinghy in the evening and morning to run him ashore. This gives me another option anyhow. Thanks.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I can help a little with that. My dog is 60 pounds and he can be a challenge for me to lift with my crappy shoulders. I used to use a beautiful Cape Dory 10 sailing dinghy as a tender but it was getting very diffcult to transport Shamus. I ended up buying a rib. But I made sure this rib had large tubes and a raised bow. This way Shamus can step onto the stern cap, down 1 step and into the dinghy on his own.

As for running the dog ashore, leave the tender in the water when you get to an anchorage. Only put it on the davits while transitting.

Oh yeah, and Shamus loves Chris A!

jkm

Member III
Justin

I have found that I rather haul my dink over the stern than on my deck.

I'll try to download a pictures I took last weekend.

John

Attachments

• IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 218