• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

She asked how does the bilge blower work?

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I was doing some work on my carb on my 78 E29 when my date (this was her second weekend on the boat) asked how does the bilge blower work? I proceded to explain and she continued to question. I was showing her that the enblower is in the engine compartment and that there is an exhaust hose connecter from the blower to a deck vent. The intake was her concern, I traced out the intake hose to discover that it goes back to the very back of the boat and is very high above the bottom of the engine compartment.

The girl has something there. (she is the only person ever to say nice TV and sound systen, now where are the fire extinguishers and breakers.........)

My question is would it not be better to have the intake hose pick up from inside the engine compartmant or at the back of the compartment where the porp shaft exits the enclosure through a 4" hole and there is also another 4" hole next to that for the shifter cable?

The setup looks stock but now I am thinking if gas fumes settle low why have the intake hose so high.

I will owe you a beer if you give good feedback.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Two intakes. The first low in the engine compartment and the second in the lowest part of your main cabin bilge. This should keep gas fumes out and keep CO2 from accumulating in the cabin while motoring. I assume you have an A4. I would always run the blower for a minute or two and sniff the vents for gas smell before starting. I also ran the blower continuously while motoring.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If powered by a gasoline engine, you want the hose intake to be low inside the engine compartment to pick up and remove any potential heavier-than-air gas vapors.
The outlet is as high as practical to reduce the possibility of a wave wandering inside that hose and flooding out the engine/boat thru that 3" hole in the transom.

For a diesel inboard, you want the intake at the upper part of the engine compartment to remove heat while running the engine.

More related discussion in this thread:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=6306&referrerid=28

Loren

Last edited:

simdim

Member II
Randy,
I have diesel so my concerns are a bit different (however with propane stove they intersect a lot :))
I do not want to be at mercy of pressure differentials from cabin hatches and port holes, therefore this winter i am planning to modify my 79 e29 bilge/engine ventilation in the following manner:

1. Starboard (exhaust cowl) facing aft will be fed by inline blower motor that will be connected to Y splitter to suck air from engine compartment and bilge 2. Port (intake cowl) facing forward will be connected to inline blower to deliver air to engine compartment.

Both blower motors to start when engine starts (with optional overwrite for low battery conditions) and shut down by timer 5 min after motor stops.

I know there are going to be comments that this is excessive, but I already had the conversation with my wife to the regards that she wants a sailboat is 99.9% free from smells of petro fuels and their byproducts ;).

Cheers,

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Simon, I would be carefull about installing a blower that introduces air into the eng. compartment. It may create a positive pressure differential with the salon and actually introduce gases into that area. Try it with just a good exhaust blower first. You can always add the other later.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Do you have an A4 in there? When we had an A4 we had the "suck" end of the blower below and slightly aft of the carb. With an A4 the most likely places for fumes to escape I'd guess would be the fuel pump and carb.

Smart girl. Be careful. :egrin:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Yes she is a smart girl and reads the wind like other women read romance novels. She scares the hell out of me. I like her a lot and I have only had my freedom for four months so it is too early to find a keeper?????????

Ho yea! The bilge blower subject. The boat is equipped with an A4 and I now have to re-route the intake for the blower. Several of my friends that as I do profess to being good with boat repair have seen this and completely accepted that it was factory and a good design. With the intake hose as far as I can tell ending at the rudder post I don't like that now that Ce Ce questioned and made me aware. I always run the blower for a couple of minutes and sniff the deck vent and with the current arrangement the air would be so diluted from the position of the hose it would be hard to get enough smell to warn me.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Could be a keeper Randy:unsure::wife::baby:. Or maybe not...:cheers::Kissy::sex::woot::argue:

My wife and I started dating 2 months after a relationship of 5 years ended. She is an avid sailor and cruiser now. She also loves other sports I am into. Mtn biking and skiing. She can keep up with me at most anything and loves a challenge.

Last edited:

Guy Stevens

CFR 46, CA Transport, ABYC et all.

ABYC states that the bilge blower should be located below the engine in an enclosed space containing gasoline powered equipment. It is part of a document that you have to purchase, and are not supposed to share with anyone that has not already purchased it............. Don't ask what I think of that organization......

CFR Part 46 is more applicable, and states the following really long bit inserted at the bottom.

Basically you want to have the blower under the engine. Now I do that on my personal boat with a duct, although technically that is not completely correct, as the blower should not be installed in the duct.

Regulations aside, make sure that you are safe, have the duct that sucks or the blower located below the engine. Gasoline fumes need to be removed from the engine area, and kept out of the bilge. Propane too!

I used to have some photos of a boat that had been in an explosion here, can't find them now.,.. Most of the deck was missing. The injuries were severe, loss of several limbs etc.

Canada transportation board small craft is much more helpful and readable in this regard. and can be found here: Then again the Canadians always seem to be helpful.....

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/tp/tp1332/section6.htm#blowers

ABYC would be happy to sell you their recommendations for $50.00. They are in the business to make a lot of MONEY, they are not there to help you the boater. http://www.abycinc.org/standards/purpose.cfm#H2

Here is the text of CFR 46.

:
"§ 182.460 Ventilation of spaces containing
machinery powered by, or
fuel tanks for, gasoline.
(a) A space containing machinery
powered by, or fuel tanks for, gasoline
must have a ventilation system that
complies with this section and consists
of:
(1) For an enclosed space:
(i) At least two natural ventilation
supply ducts located at one end of the
space and that extend to the lowest
part of the space or to the bilge on
each side of the space; and
(ii) A mechanical exhaust system
consisting of at least two ventilation
exhaust ducts located at the end of the
space opposite from where the supply
ducts are fitted, which extend to the
lowest part of the bilge of the space on
each side of the space, and which are
led to one or more powered exhaust
blowers; and
(2) For a partially enclosed space, at
least one ventilation duct installed in
the forward part of the space and one
ventilation duct installed in the after
part of the space, or as otherwise required
by the cognizant OCMI. Ducts
for partially enclosed spaces must have
cowls or scoops as required by paragraph
(i) of this section.
(b) A mechanical exhaust system required
by paragraph (a)(1)(ii) of this
section must be such as to assure the
air changes as noted in Table 182.460(b)
depending upon the size of the space.
TABLE 182.460(b)
Size of space in cubic meters (feet) Minutes per air
Over Not over change
0 14 (500) 2
14 (500) 28.50 (1000) 3
28.50 (1000) 43 (1500) 4
43 (1500) .............................. 5
(c) An exhaust blower motor may not
be installed in a duct, and if mounted
in any space required to be ventilated
by this section, must be located as high
above the bilge as practicable. Blower
blades must be nonsparking with reference
to their housings.
(d) Where a fixed gas fire extinguishing
system is installed in a space,
all powered exhaust blowers for the
space must automatically shut down
upon release of the extinguishing
agent.
(e) Exhaust blower switches must be
located outside of any space required
to be ventilated by this section, and
must be of the type interlocked with
the starting switch and the ignition
switch so that the blowers are started
before the engine starter motor circuit
or the engine ignition is energized. A
red warning sign at the switch must
state that the blowers must be operated
prior to starting the engines for
the time sufficient to insure at least
one complete change of air in the space
served.
(f) The area of the ventilation ducts
must be sufficient to limit the air velocity
to a maximum of 10 meters per
second (2,000 feet per minute). A duct
may be of any shape, provided that in
no case will one cross sectional dimension
exceed twice the other.
(g) A duct must be so installed that
ordinary collection of water in the
bilge will not block vapor flow.
(h) A duct must be of rigid permanent
construction, which does not
allow any appreciable vapor flow except
through normal openings, and
made of the same material as the hull
or of noncombustible material. The
duct must lead as directly as possible
from its intake opening to its terminus
and be securely fastened and supported.
(i) A supply duct must be provided at
its intake opening with a cowl or scoop
having a free area not less than twice
the required duct area. When the cowl
or scoop is screened, the mouth area
VerDate Aug<31>2005 10:00 Oct 25, 2005 Jkt 205192 PO 00000 Frm 00290 Fmt 8010 Sfmt 8010 Y:\SGML\205192.XXX 205192
Coast Guard, DHS § 182.465
must be increased to compensate for
the area of the screen wire. A cowl or
scoop must be kept open at all times
except when the weather is such as to
endanger the vessel if the openings are
not temporarily closed.
(j) Dampers may not be fitted in a
supply duct.
(k) A duct opening may not be located
where the natural flow of air is
unduly obstructed, adjacent to possible
sources of vapor ignition, or where exhaust
air may be taken into a supply
duct.
(l) Provision must be made for closing
all supply duct cowls or scoops and
exhaust duct discharge openings for a
space protected by a fixed gas extinguishing
system. All closure devices
must be readily available and mounted
in the vicinity of the vent.
(m) A vessel of not more than 19.8
meters (65 feet) in length carrying not
more than 12 passengers, with ventilation
installations in accordance with
ABYC Project H–2, ‘‘Ventilation of
Boats Using Gasoline,’’ or 33 CFR 183,
subpart K, ‘‘Ventilation,’’ will be considered
as meeting the requirements of
this section.
[CGD 85–080, 61 FR 986, Jan. 10, 1996, as
amended by CGD 97–057, 62 FR 51050, Sept. 30,
1997]
"

Guy
:)

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Keeper

Tim

Thanks for the support on my love life. I am enjoying her company and she is a great crew member. She is logical and always asking questions to learn and be prepared for emergencies while planning for the best.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Guy
If I let her read that I will have to rebuild the boat. Thanks for the info and I will read and condense to what I need and share it with her and work out the hose intake position. I will have to use a hose on the intake to get the inlet where I need it due to space.

Thanks again for the info

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The Right Questions

I was doing some work on my carb on my 78 E29 when my date (this was her second weekend on the boat) asked how does the bilge blower work? I proceded to explain and she continued to question. I was showing her that the enblower is in the engine compartment and that there is an exhaust hose connecter from the blower to a deck vent. The intake was her concern, I traced out the intake hose to discover that it goes back to the very back of the boat and is very high above the bottom of the engine compartment.
The girl has something there. (she is the only person ever to say nice TV and sound systen, now where are the fire extinguishers and breakers.........)
I will owe you a beer if you give good feedback.

Randy,
Try not to let this girl get away.
Forget us, and serve HER a really good micro brew. Clean glass, chilled, slice of lemon...
:cool:

Loren

Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Loren

Who needs Dear Abby or Doctor Laura with you guys out there? I know she is a keeper. I just don’t know if I am ready to make any big decisions and then I think she gets a vote in how this plays out.

It is great to have someone who likes the sailing club, the boat and actually tells me to pull the jib sheet like I mean it during races.
I think I might have sold myself on her; I might better start selling myself to her.

Back to the blower intake: I am going to route the hose to the hole for the shifter linkage at the back of the engine compartment. This will evacuate the engine compartment and the bilge behind the engine that is fairly well sealed from the front of the bilge.

Any last minute suggestions before Ce Ce and I go back to the boat Thursday to prepare for the races Saturday.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
What was her answer when I asked the big question??

For the ones that are offering romantic advice and said she is a keeper.

After a great day of racing this weekend and an otherwise great weekend I decided to ask the big question.

I got down on one knee and asked.

“Will you crew with me at Dauphin Island 2009”

And she said yes.