• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What are the holes for ?

Sven

Seglare
What are the holes for ? Ventilation ?

Since the broker stood us up we didn't go aboard the E38 and we couldn't tell if they might serve some other purpose, like storage ?

-Sven

Attachments

• Sliding hatch garage holes.jpg
    Sliding hatch garage holes.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 120

u079721

Contributing Partner
Where are we looking?

You don't meniton just what part of the boat is shown in the picture, but it looks like the leading edge of the sea hood over the main companionway hatch, no? At any rate I've never seen those before on any of the dozen or so E38's I've been aboard. Is it on of the Pacific Seacraft models?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
It is on the leading edge of the seahood. Interesting but definately factory. It appears that they are at least part of the E38 that has the standard layout. There is a photo in the folowing brochure that shows them. I could not find a listing of what they are. The brochure has no date or any other way to tell if it was produced by Ericson or PS but I suspect PS.

Let us know once you do get inside the boat. It may be a nice retrofit for some of the older boats.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/local_links.php?action=jump&id=495&catid=99

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
You don't meniton just what part of the boat is shown in the picture

Sorry about that. I assumed they were common on 38s so everyone but me would know where they were. Yes, they are indeed on the leading edge of the seahood.

It is a 1984 38.

-Sven

Trucker Doug

Member II
I think they are there to let water in to rot the wooden box underneath them.
Seriously, they were on mine and I guess they were supposed to be hand holds or a place for a winch handle but they do nothing but did have a wooden box under there which has probably already been removed. I glassed mine shut to help keep water and leaves out of the area.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Maybe Martin can ask his father. Then again, they may have been added after the final design.

ACheeks

Sail-tie Storage

One of the old brochures I have says that these holes were meant for storage of sail-ties. Unfortunately, they do not work very well for that purpose, or for any storage due to their small size, inconvenient location and open design. It is also not a convenient location to use for ventilation or lighting. In my opinion it was a nice try, but ultimately not very useful.

While the outside is made of fiberglass, the interior of this storage area on my E38 was made out of plywood with a few coats of paint. With time, the paint peeled away, water entered and the wood began to rot. I didn't think much of it when I bought the boat with the rotting wood, as it was not critical if water entered the area. The problem came when the termites arrived and made themselves at home in the rotting wood. After a $1200 fumigation, I removed the "doghouse" and rebuilt the storage area with marine-grade wood, coated with fiberglass. If you are prone to termites in your area, I suggest you inspect these holes for wood rot.

Alan Cheeks
Trojan Conquest
1983 Ericson 38
Redondo Beach, CA

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
That is interesting. My E38 has wooden plugs or accent pieces in these holes. When I had the sea hood off the I don't remember the underside having holes under the wood but maybe someone already fixed that? There was also a storage area between the dorade vents with the same wood cover/plug. That is now sealed/glued in place, same issue as others with wood interior, potential rot, etc. I would seal anything like this. RT

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Maybe Martin can ask his father. Then again, they may have been added after the final design.

Well that brochure was done around '83-'84 time frame. Those are
my photos in the brochure. Those cubbys look like something the
factory cooked up on their own. The interior on those should have
been glass. Painted ply sounds like a really bad idea.

Martin

hodo

Member III
I have those holes on my 85 e 38, and find them a handy place for holding certain beverage containers. The plywood,(1/4") is now gone from mine too. My granddaughter likes the forward ones to keep some of her toys in while playing up there. How thoughtful of Ericson to provide this secure toy box!
Sail fast, Drink slow! Harold

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I think a quart acetone or turpentine can fits in there also. I know a 12 oz. longneck fits in there. There are limber holes in the corners that plug easily. There is still plywood in mine that is either petrified or not the original. Seems to be well sealed and not deteriorating much at present. I have another set forward of the mast on the raised ventilation box also.

It's a curious space.