• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cost of refurbishing E38 standing rigging ?

Sven

Seglare
What are ballpark costs that one should expect in refurbishing the standing rigging of an E38 ?

Truly ballpark ... 2, 4, 8, $16K or more ?

Thanks,

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
http://www.briontoss.com/

Here is a nice web site for rig information, and within it is the "Spartalk" section for questions.

What scope of work are you thinking of? All new wire and turn buckles?
That's a double-spreader rig with double lowers, as I recall. What year is the boat?

Best,
Loren

Sven

Seglare
Hi Loren,

http://www.briontoss.com/

Here is a nice web site for rig information, and within it is the "Spartalk" section for questions.

What scope of work are you thinking of? All new wire and turn buckles?
That's a double-spreader rig with double lowers, as I recall. What year is the boat?

Best,
Loren

Thanks for the reference. I have Brion's "bible" but will check out the site.

We're looking at a few 38s, for offshore use. They are from the 80s so I suspect that the standing rigging is something that will need real work before we would head out and I'm trying to get an idea in advance of what post-purchase costs to expect.

I'll scour the archives to look for other potential trouble spots having to do with the 38s; delamination, chainplates, hull-deck joints ... etc.

Thanks,

-Sven

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I replaced the standing rigging on my E38 last winter. I removed all the wire and dropped it off at my local rigger. Headstay was done in '04 when the new roller furler went on so that was not replaced but the caps, intermediates, lowers and backstay are all new. This cost $2000.00 Thats with swaged fittings and new turnbuckles. Mechanical terminals on the lowers only would have set me back another $400 or so. Standard 1x19 wire. Dyform would be more. I was quoted $6600 to go to rod rigging. The mast was in good shape so we left that alone. I did the reinstallation and tuning. Hope this helps. RT

Trucker Doug

Member II
Had my whole mast rebuilt this spring, new lights, halyards and standing rigging, rollerfurler and repainted the mast at Chesapeake Rigging. Basicly eveything new except the pole for $11,285.79

Cory B

Sustaining Member
RW's info is pretty good.

It cost us a little under $2K about 2.5 years ago to replace all the wire, turnbuckles, and pins, including swaging labor, from a quality outfit. We took the wire on and off the mast... not hard when the mast is down.

Price of materials (stainless) has probably gone up a bit since then

Our rigging was most likely original with no obvious problems, but it was getting really up there in age, and the boat was previously kept in a salty environment year around. We did have cracked lifeline swages, and figured they were about the same age as the rigging.

dwigle

Member III
I was quoted around $3000 two years ago by one of the better known local riggers. I did myself last year for less than half that with some friendly discounts.

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E 38 #8

Sven

Seglare
Thanks for the excellent answers. That's even better info than I'd hoped for !

Itching to spend the money (not really) as long as it contributes to perfection.

It will be a fun weekend looking at some of the local 38s.

Many thanks,

-Sven

ligolaiva38

Member II
Cost is not as important as how the rigging and mast is done. My mast was done poorly and the rigging wrong. My original cost on my 1984 E-38 cost just under $10K, but after two years I found out that the company SeaTek in Wilmington (Los Angeles Harbor) replaced the rigging with smaller sizes that were equal to a 30 ft Ericson boat and the forestay was too short which made the boat bend like a bannana out of shape. The interior head door wouldn't close, the board over the holding tank wouldn't fit and the water draining from the mast during rain drained to the forward bilge. Finally, I had to replace the rigging again with the correct sizes and replace the forestay with the correct size 2" longer which made the boat back to normal conditions, but redoing it right the second time cost plenty for labor and materials which included also missing materials. It is very important that the mast is redone well and the rigging is done right.
I replied to Don who also had the same problem with the tittle: Ericson 38 rigging last month on Maintenance & Mechanical and there were several answers on the importance of quality rigging. Check it out if you haven't yet.
Good luck finding the right company to do the work right.
John
E 38

Sven

Seglare
Hijacking my own thread

Good to see you back here Sven.

I'm touched ... a sincere thanks.

It is good to be back and planning for some serious off-grid cruising. We haven't quite decided yet, but we've spent almost a year looking at Hans Christians for no-worries self-sufficiency, but at long last we are almost certainly back to Ericsons.

We also spent some time talking to George Beuhler of Diesel Duck fame and studying (buying) his designs, but the fuel cost issue torpedoed that idea. I'm still a Beuhler fan and consider him to be like Steve Dashew when it comes to truly Engineering a boat. The idea of taking a Diesel Duck through the Northwest Passage now that it is opening still sends chills down my spine, but we aren't rich enough.

I should be fair and mention that Bob Perry's Norseman 447 is an aesthetic Siren that calls us every now and then, but I think it is too large to be easily single-handed with all manual equipment. The 447 is also holding its price and can't compete with the Ericsons for value.

With all that said ... Bruce is unquestionably the King of the compromise who brought together all the aesthetics, safety, comfort and performance which makes a boat perfect. The fin keel is a concern for a long distance cruiser, but one we can probably live with. So we are back and shopping !

(The broker we had made an appointment with today at the Santa Barbara Chandlery stood us up after our 2.5 (times two) hour and 100 (times 2) mile drive ! So, we never did get to see Star, an Ericson 38. We did find her in the harbor so we saw her from the outside, but that was it and we did not step aboard)

-Sven

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
While I love my E38 and think its a great boat you might want to look at the E39. Lew Decker has a very nice example for sale right now.... Yes, it would have to be trucked to you but for the right price this could be the boat for you. I think Guy would agree that the E39 would do the trick! RT