• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1974 Volvo MB 10a from a 74 E27 For Sale

Dan Mendat

Hello,
As of 10-8-08, I have a perfectly running fresh water volvo MB 10a inboard motor for sale. Gas powered and 15 hp rated. It is out of my 1974 Ericson 27. Boat has always been in fresh water and only 3 owners. I have removed the motor whole with transmission and placed on a pallet. The reason I have removed it..I have decided to go electric with an E-Pod from re-e-power.com. I had one on a previous boat and loved its performance along with the wife having a better understanding of a forward and reverse lever as opposed to the key start, choke, shifter linkage, and throttle control of this gas inboard motor.
This motor is actually still made in Norway undert the name "Marna Motor" and all parts are available. Youtube even has some videos of other "Marna Motors" and there appears to be quite a following. I believe this is the only year Ericson put a Volvo in a E27.
I'm located in Sharon Center, Ohio just 20+ miles south of Cleveland Ohio. Make offer! Complete controls will come with. The carberator is only a few years old and cost the previous owner I believer a few hundred dollars. The starter generator is also worth a lot of money.
Email me at danmendat@yahoo.com and I will send you pics or even video of it running before the removal.
Thanks
Dan Mendat
1974 Ericson

ragamuffin

Member II
E-Pod repower

Would love to here how your re-power goes I am thinking of doing the same thing with my E-27 which e-pod are you going to use how many batteries

Dan Mendat

E-pod repower

I will be using the system 3000 running at 48 volts. I will most likely use 4 standard, wet deep cycle group 29 batteries wired in series. I've had great results with them in the past with my system 2000 I had on my Southcoast 22 sailboat and the maintenance is easy: keep them wet, keep them charged. Any state of discharge starts killing a battery if left to sit too long. I've already purchased a DualPro Eagle 48 volt charger. Simple 110v plug in charger. So at the end of my day sailing, all I need to do is silently motor to the dock and plug the boat into shore power. The next time I come sailing, boat is fully charged and ready to go. My range of operation will be somewhere in the 3-4 hour range. More like 2 hours or less if running hard into wind and waves. If you check out the website for re-e-power.com, you'll notice that the motors show a 3 bladed bronze prop. The company is switching over to a 2 blade "perfect pitch" prop designed for atomic 4's. The new prop is gonna allow the motor to spin up to a more effecient operating rpm and probably give even better performance. The prop is designed to flex a little at different rpms.
I have just painted my Ericson and sealing up the deck hardware from rainwater. Really looking forward to installing the E-Pod 3000 this winter/spring and be ready for the sailing season starting May 1st. The 2000 model I had on my previous sailboat really helped my sailing experience by giving me the confidence to sail in close quarters knowing that I had a motor ready to go at the touch of a button. Instantly got me out of some situations with other sailers and breakwalls! Part of the reason I took a perfectly running motor out of this boat besides my dislike for thru hulls, starters, exhaust systems, noise, and vibration. However, I hope this post doesn't start a discussion about electric propulsion where folks all chime in with an opinion about why not to convert. Once installed, I'll take anyone aboard for a ride and I guarantee they will place their order! ha!
Keep me posted,
Dan Mendat
1974 Ericson 27

ragamuffin

Member II
I am looking at the 3000 as well. If you can it would be great to document the entire install process with photos and any problems you might encounter. I think this is a great re-power option for boats like the E27. I would Add solar to mine for a complete Green E-27. How well does the charging work while under sail I am told the prop turns and is a generator for charging the Batts when sailing How cool is that

jason92627

RE: 1975 Ericson 27 - Marna MB 10 A Motor Swap

Hello All,

Does anyone know about removing the Marna MB10A or Volvo Penta MB10A motor and replacing with an Atomic 4 engine. Any advice?

Thank you