• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Advice HH Bearing Compass

Steve Swann

Member III
I am going to purchase a handheld bearing compass. Anyone have a good suggestion for me? Either what to look for, or a favorite brand. Price isn't as important as utility, durability, and usability.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Davis, maybe

I have used one of these low-tech simple ones, and liked it.

http://www.davisnet.com/marine/products/list_marine.asp?grp=m19-2

There is a somewhat similar Silva model with a larger card, or at least there used to be. Here is a URL, but I am not sure if this is marketed in the US currently (under the Brunton name, maybe?). I owned one and liked the way it could be slipped into a a bracket as an extra steering compass.
http://www.smartmarine.co.nz/70un-handbearing-compassno-light-p-1062.html

Loren

Attachments

• 00211.jpg
    00211.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 53
  • silva compass handheld 70un.jpg
    silva compass handheld 70un.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Steve Swann

Member III
Good Options

Thanks, Loren. How in the world do you find this stuff and reply so effectively and quickly?

Thank you for including both links that go to sites to purchase either one. I am not sure I 'need' an illuminated one but then again, maybe this is a good backup option for something heretofore unexpected; especially for not much difference in $. Maybe having two wouldn't be a bad idea either...

Steve Swann
E25 Seahorse
Meridian ID

sleather

Sustaining Member
I've had that Davis model for ~20 years and it's a nice unit. It may have been the only one at that time. The only drawback is it does need a nice secure home when not in use. I've had to repair/glue one of the sighting blades due to interactions w/ other movable objects. The illumination does come in handy.