• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Maltese Falcon T-boned

CaptDan

Member III
Kind of hard to explain, but at least it wasn't an Ericson;)

http://yachtpals.com/maltese-falcon-yacht-collision-3074

and tons of great pics, 40 pages worth.

http://lyonsimaging.smugmug.com/gallery/6142227_HoUAr#P-31-12

"and "right-of-way" doesn't apply when one of the vessels is restricted by sheer size. On the other hand, might doesn't make right."

Excuse me, but that's one of the most braindead statements I've read all week. COLREGS certainly DO apply - in this case between two sailing vessels - assuming one or both were under sail at the time.

'Sheer size' makes no sense. Ferry boats are motor driven vessels; they are generally much bigger than recreational sailing yachts. They must give way to sailing vessels {under sail - not motoring} in most circumstances. However, by the writer's 'logic,' the Falcon - a behemoth sailing yacht - has implied 'right-of-way' because it be a big mutha. :confused:

That said, it appears the smaller yacht's skipper tacked into the Falcon's course and might've been at fault. And from the pix, the Falcon was under sail and outside the SF Shipping Lane and Rule 9 Narrow Channels COLREGS.

Don't mind me; I like Monday morning quarterbacking and taking umbrage at nonsensical notions spewed by the misinformed.:rolleyes:

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Quibbles about tone aside, I agree with Dan about the ColRegs, and would note that all vessels enjoy additional protection when they are "restricted in manoevering ability" or some such description.
A "sailing vessel" the size of that monster is more like a freighter than any regular sailboat -- including draft restrictions, as well.

To be fair, though, it is only a bit more ostentatious than all those rows of monster motor vessels you see in photos docked near Monaco and Monte-Carlo.

Loren

ChrisS

Member III
I was out over the weekend, and saw the Maltese Falcon anchored off Tiburon Saturday, and then under sail on Sunday. If I had that kind of cash, I don't think that would be my idea of sailing but everyone has their own tastes...

A guy at the dock told me that after the accident, the skipper of the MF hailed the boat that hit the yacht, and said to switch over to channel 71. You can bet there were a great many listeners!

Guy Stevens

Discussion on 71 was very professional

I happen to be teaching a sailing class, and had 71 on at the time. Conversation consisted only of exchanging cell phone numbers.

Guy
:)

CaptDan

Member III
Quibbles about tone aside, I agree with Dan about the ColRegs, and would note that all vessels enjoy additional protection when they are "restricted in manoevering ability" or some such description.
A "sailing vessel" the size of that monster is more like a freighter than any regular sailboat -- including draft restrictions, as well.

To be fair, though, it is only a bit more ostentatious than all those rows of monster motor vessels you see in photos docked near Monaco and Monte-Carlo.

Loren

Rule 9 or the 'restricted manuevering ability' concept is complicated, but not all that hard to understand. It generally applies to vessels over 20 meters LOA, {also to towing vessels engaged in 200 meter towing operations) and 'in a narrow channel as defined by Rule 9; because of its draft is restricted to navigating within that channel or risking going aground. If those conditions are met, all other vessels must STAY CLEAR and not impede passage. Period.

Was the Falcon inside the designated shipping lane? It appears not. Was it sailing or motorsailing? I dunno. Is it a big mutha and should anyone helming a vessel in her vicinity take early and reasonable action to prevent a collision - RULE #1 in the COLREGS? Yubetcha. Period.

Here's where it gets even more complex: the term 'Constrained By Draft' only applies in international waters; SF Bay shoreward of the 'demarkation zone' - Mile Rock - falls under the Inland Waters rules. Was the Falcon shoreward of this zone? It appears so - from its position relative to the Marin Headlands. I dunno, but by its course angle she seemed CLEARLY outside the shipping lanes' E/W direction.

In any event, I agree with Chris; 'sailing' the Falcon isn't like sailing we understand. It's about pushing buttons and letting computers do the work.
'60 Minutes' did a piece on the yacht last year, getting into the mechanics of how the ship operates. She DOES heel to weather, though. So, I guess it ain't all bad.:egrin:

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Looks to me like this will hinge on whether the smaller boat tacked too close to Maltese Falcon to be considered on starboard tack.

CaptDan

Member III
Looks to me like this will hinge on whether the smaller boat tacked too close to Maltese Falcon to be considered on starboard tack.

Another element not yet mentioned were the currents. I wonder if there was an ebb current running which would've contributed to the Nordic's collision course.

Also, another paramount 'rule' is keeping a lookout. That certainly applies when tacking or gybing; ya wanna look back atchur stern to see if - maybe - ye mights hit somethin' if ya come about.:rolleyes:

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

sleather

Sustaining Member
The first pic that shows the Nordic 40 shows some wind in the sails(on starboard) but once the MF rolls over it there would be little to no wind, leading to a stall . The MF's bow wave probably came close/or did stop the other boat in it's tracks and essentially left it "dead in the water" w/o the ability to maneuver. Add in the leeway of the MF and my guess is the MF actually struck the smaller boat which at that point was stationary, terribly close w/ no ability to maneuver.

Still, there's no excuse for allowing yourself to get that close to a Mega yacht.:scared: Dang geegawkers.

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Possible hoax?

There are no mainstream news stories on this collision. All the sites reporting it are sailing related sites. It looks real enough to me but people are starting to wonder.

sleather

Sustaining Member
There are no mainstream news stories on this collision. All the sites reporting it are sailing related sites. It looks real enough to me but people are starting to wonder.

With the elections and the world market situation who wants to hear about a "scratch" on a Mega yacht. People of his ilk aren't very popular these days.:mad: Besides no one was hurt or killed, just doesn't have the "right stuff" for broadcast news.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Damn, that thing is ugly! All that money and they built that? I don't know what went wrong in this situation but its common sense to stay clear of anything that big.

That said I have almost been run down by a large Italian ocean racer off Newport, RI. They weren't racing, just coming out the East passage and just ran me down. Rules, me on a Starboard be damned, they just kept coming. Missed by feet when I tacked away. The owners/operators of some of these mega dollar contraptions don't appear to give a crap. RT

evm

Member II
Let's see

I'll make some assumptions....

I'll assume that both boats were sailing
That the MF was not Restricted in Ability to Maneuver or NUC.
I'll assume that this was not a crossing situation. ( not approaching one another, so as to involve risk of collision)

I assume that the larger boat was sailing faster and thus this was an overtaking situation. The MF may have blocked the wind to the smaller boat which caused a change in course - Regardless, How close were they? THe overtaking vessel need to stay a safe distance away from the overtaken. Also , look closely at Rule 13(c) and 13(d)...as well as 12(a.2)

Of course the facts will be telling!

Regards, Ethan

-------------Sailing--------------
Rule 11

Rules in this section apply to vessels in sight of one another.

Rule 12

(a) When two sailing vessels are approaching one another, so as to involve risk of collision, one of them shall keep out of the way of the other as follows:

1. when each has the wind on a different side, the vessel which has the wind on the port side shall keep out of the way of the other;
2. when both have the wind on the same side, the vessel which is to windward shall keep out of the way of the vessel which is to leeward;
3. if a vessel with the wind on the port side sees a vessel to windward and cannot determine with certainty whether the other vessel has the wind on the port or on the starboard side, she shall keep out of the way of the other.

(b) For the purposes of this Rule the windward side shall be deemed to be the side opposite that on which the mainsail is carried or, in the case of a square-rigged vessel, the side opposite to that on which the largest fore-and-aft sail is carried.

------------Overtaking------------
RULE 13
OVERTAKING

(a) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Rules [of Part B, Sections I and II / 4 through 18], any vessel overtaking any other shall keep out of the way of the vessel being overtaken.

(b) A vessel shall be deemed to be overtaking when coming up with a another vessel from a direction more than 22.5 degrees abaft her beam, that is, in such a position with reference to the vessel she is overtaking, that at night she would be able to see only the sternlight of that vessel but neither of her sidelights.

(c) When a vessel is in any doubt as to whether she is overtaking another, she shall assume that this is the case and act accordingly.

(d) Any subsequent alteration of the bearing between the two vessels shall not make the overtaking vessel a crossing vessel within the meaning of these Rules or relieve her of the duty of keeping clear of the overtaken vessel until she is finally past and clear.

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
New info

T. Perkins wrote about this photo on Oct 6th. BTW, Tom Perkins is the owner of Maltese Falcon and was aboard the day of the collision.

"The name of the 40ft boat is "Stand By.

A few minutes before this photo sequence, the Falcon had turned to port, to give the right of way to the smaller yacht, which was to leeward on the starboard tack. The "Stand By" was originally on a roughly reciprocal course to that of the Falcon. Prior to the photos shown here, "Stand By" was bearing away, and the two yachts were on safe courses to pass roughly with a distance of 200 feet separation. After the "Stand By" had sailed past the Falcon's bow, the smaller vessel suddenly rounded up, possibly to tack in order to follow the Falcon, when she lost control, and with her main sheeted hard in, the smaller boat was unable to bear away to avoid a collision.

A San Francisco Bay Pilot, was on the Falcon's bridge overseeing the Falcon's course at all times. The pilot is also an experienced sailor and sail boat owner. Because of the Falcon's tonnage, a licenced pilot is required whenever the yacht is underway, approaching, or inside the Bay.

The "Stand By" did not stop after the collision. The Falcon furled her sails and pursued the 40 footer, under power, in order to determine her name and registration number. The pilot radioed the U.S. Coast Guard who intercepted the "Stand By" and boarded her.

The accident was caused by "Stand By"'s sudden change of course, which was much to quick to permit the Falcon to respond. The Falcon sustained damage to hull, capping rail, superstructure and main lower topsail, but fortunately there were no injuries to persons aboard either vessel.

Tom Perkins"

evm

Member II
Good new info.... I should note that 200' is about 2/3 of the length of the MF which to me is close quarters!

I really do not like to get my E39 within 200' of any 289' vessel.

Running from the scene never looks good. Perhaps there is more info to come.

Did not Guy say he heard them exchange cell phone numbers? Thus it would not be running.

-Ethan

CaptDan

Member III
T.

the smaller vessel suddenly rounded up, possibly to tack in order to follow the Falcon, when she lost control, and with her main sheeted hard in, the smaller boat was unable to bear away to avoid a collision.
Tom Perkins"

Unless disputed by solid, contrary evidence, that statement says it all.

Because a pilot was aboard the Falcon, and the C.G. subsequently boarded the 'Stand By' {an ironic name in this case}, it's likely the cell phone interchange Guy heard was the result of C.G. intervention after the fact.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Steve

Member III
Wow! How could this happen?

Stand By, give-way, right of way -- all great on a level playing field.

In the tight sequence of photos you really don't see much evidence of the helmsman or crew doing much other then being caught in the headlights. Why wasn't the headsail and main let fly while the helmsman reached down and starts the iron wind with full throttle in reverse or if early enough a 130 degree powered bear away turn. The 40 had either a Universal 40hp or Westerbeke 45 hp. I know I can start my engine in a matter of seconds, simply because it was started earlier in the day.

I think inexperience was the main factor, both demonstrated in (1) getting into this situation then (2) not attempting to do something about it. Now it might be so that the 40 was heading downwind and did do an over-powered uncontrolled round-up putting her in this situation. Either way they should have at least attempted to take some preventive actions, none is seen.

It almost looks like they were having spousal words ???

Last edited:

Steve

Member III
one more thing...

One more thing... You see the B 40 heaved too, then taking a reach. Any experienced skipper, after inspecting the damage on that bow would have furled, dropped the main and motored home. To trust that head-stay tang in those conditions further gives evidence of inexperience.