• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E29 Window gaskets

learking

Member I
Am resealing leaky windows and would like to replace original gaskets. Removed one yesterday. Does anyone know the manufacturer of this gasket or where a replacement may be purchased? There are two gaskets. The one which surrounds the plate glass definitely needs replacement. It is a channel shape, rubber. The other larger gasket, also rubber, between the glass and interior frame seems in pretty good shape. Would like to replace it too but probably not necessary. The owner's manual says to seal the windows frames with closed cell tape. Frost King makes a 3/4" width, 3/16" thick closed cell tape which seems perfect. Bought 2 17' rolls at Lowes. Someone had sealed the frame with silicone so that was alot of fun removing! I've got a friend looking for gasket material and if either of us finds it I will post on this site.
:egrin: Gardner Soule

Gmilburn

Member III
I have a friend that works at a RV shop and he is replacing windows all the time in RVs. He swears by a product called "butyl tape" and it comes in both white or gray--3/4 inch wide and it cheap (like $9 for 10-12 feet) . I have never used it--but if/when I need too--I will definitely check it out. He claims that it remains flexible and adhesive for years and years when applied correctly.

You might want to check it out. Good Luck.

Gary
"Hydrophilic" 1977 E-29 Hull 515

learking

Member I
Reply to Gmilburn

Thanks for your suggestion of butyl tape. I've heard of it on the Ericson website from a guy in Maine who also liked it. We have resealed one window so far and it seemed to go well. The problem was that the rubber gasket which surrounds the glass was original and very stiff and it leaked...alot! We found some gasket at a local shop specializing in shower door fabrication. The only difference was the color....black. We reused the original rubber gasket which acts as a spacer between the two window frames. We went with the Ericson suggestion of using closed cell tape to seal the frames to the cabinhouse. I got some at Lowes made by Frost King (3/4" x 3/16" x 17') It came in brown and grey so I went with the grey. It looks good, though the tape needs to be trimmed a bit but are waiting for the gasket to settle in. "Does it leak?" Well, it hasn't rained since we did the job but I think it will work. If the closed cell tape leaks I'll try the butyl tape. Thanks again for your reply.

:egrin:Learking:egrin: