• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

water from hole in bilge

ChrisS

Member III
Water in foam part of keel?

Today I went down to fix a few small things, including a reinstallation of the bilge pump in the lowest part of the bilge, since the bracket that holds the pump was broken. When I removed the bilge pump bracket by unscrewing four screws, water started coming in, albeit very slowly. It tastes (somewhat) salty.

Looking in the manual, I can see the previous owner installed the pump over a foam section in the aft part of the hull, and I think he drilled into the foam.
it now appears water is either getting into the foam from beneath the waterline, or through the screw holes in the bilge.

So now I gather the boat is carrying around excess weight. What's the fix? What happens if I do nothing until the next haulout in a year or so?

Update: after a while, the weep really slowed down to almost mothing; I also took a piece of wire, and probed the screw holes. The bottom of each holes feels like solid fiberglass, but there is some water in there.

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
It sounds like maybe water leaked down from the bilge into that area through those holes and when you removed the screws it is just coming back. I would dry the bilge and moniter. If it was truly a leak to the outside, I do not think it would slow down and stop. Remember there is tremendous pressure on the hull from the water outside.

ChrisS

Member III
Does the foam degrade?

What's the purpose of the foam behind the keel? To add buoyancy? Does it hold water and degrade? I'm just wondering how invasive I should be in trying to dry it out.