• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E39B Chainplate Corrosion

mcarraway

I went to re-seal the aluminum chainplate tabs that extend up through the deck from the glassed-in knees. There has been very slight leakage around the chainplate tabs in the past year, but they looked very solid below and above the deck. Unfortunately, when I got under the old seals, I found some fairly significant corrosion on all of the tabs, at the deck level. I plan to consult a local rigging expert, but was wondering if anybody out there had encountered this, and if so, what route did you go to deal with the problem? I've never had a boat with aluminum chainplates, so am not sure of what should and should not be done. For example, I was think of installing aluminum plates on either side, drilling through and bolting to the existing knees, up to the tabs, but am not sure if this would compromise the integrity of the original knees. Thanks for any help/advice on this!

Mike Tinder

Member II
E-39B Chain Plates

I to have an E-39B. From what you are saying I think that I would remove them completely and have new one's made and then glass them back onto the hull. Let us know what you do.

Guy Stevens

There is another way of doing this.

Send me an off list e-mail and I will send photos of 4 ways to solve this issue. Two ok , one ugly as sin, and one that I really like.

Guy
:)