• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What is the "pull out toggle" on the engine control panel.

elwyndow

Inactive Member
Hi all,

I am a new owner of a 1980 Ericson 35-2. Purchased the boat in Ventura and had it trucked up to San Francisco. Because of the distance, I did not have a chance to become as familiar with the boat before the purchase - so now the fun begins! BTW - don't recommend that approach, but this is my 4th sailboat in 20 years so I felt OK taking the leap.

Can anyone short-cut my journey of discovery and let me know the function of the 'pull out' toggle switch on the engine panel?

Thanks!

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Congrats on a very nice Ericson Elwyn.

Not sure what you mean by "pull out" toggle. Ours has a toggle that you flip to turn on and off the engine compartment exhaust blower. Also has a "T" shaped handle that you pull straight out to shut down the diesel engine.

Hope this helps.

elwyndow

Inactive Member
I can tell you what I know it is not...

I have two regular toggles on the lower left - one for blower, one for glow plugs, then this mystery item, then the key.

My operating instruction from the broker was to pull the toggle out before starting and push it in after killing the engine (which is done by throttling way back as per the engine operating manual)

I have had boats that had a pull out with a 'T' handle as a fuel kill - this is similar in operation - ie: it pulls out and pushes in - but I'm not sure what it is controling/connected to.

Thx, -E

Cory B

Sustaining Member
It sounds like our engine. It probably energizes the circuit for an electric fuel pump and oil pressure alarm, and may energize the circuit for the glow plugs as well.

Experiment a little. :)

Edit: They may have decided to run the glowplugs through the pull switch instead of the ignition switch since most ignition switches aren't rated to handle the amperage of the glow plugs.

Last edited:

Steve

Member III
Our 84 Universal 5424 didn't have the handle

Here's our panel on the 84 e35-3:

Attachments

• DSCF2898.JPG
    DSCF2898.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 114

steven

Sustaining Member
Once had a 1979 Renault Marine Diesel. Bucket of bolts. Finally threw it over the side where it now both useful and reliable as a mooring anchor (though I still don't really trust it).

Normal way to kill the engine was to pull on a knob on the control panel which pulled a cable that went to something on the engine. I don't think it starved fuel. Had the impression it messed with the air.