• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New winches for halyards

simdim

Member II
Folks,
I am planing to move the main and jib halyards winches and cleats of the mast this winter and looking for suggestions on what would be the best solution. I have two original winches that i can reinstall on the top of the cabin (on both sides of companionway and if i do so should i use trough bolts or not (I want to introduce as little as possible of exposed bolts in the cabin liner).

Cheers,

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Definitely throughbolt them.

You can make it look a little prettier on the inside by using as short of bolts as necessary (cut down if needed) and finish them with Acorn washers. If you feel up to it you can do some nice things with a little bit of teak.

You might also want to consider a set of clutches instead (or maybe in addition to) the cleats. It will let you run more things back there if you want to later.

Last edited:

Emerald

When I brought the winches aft on my prior 27 and on my current 31, I was able to mount them so the bolts for the winches and cleats came out in the aft storage cubbys in the galley and nav. station (actuall over quarter berth on 27).

Also, make sure you put a backing plate or very large fender washers on as well. Here's a picture of them on the 27 to give you an idea of a layout for the winches and cleats that kept the bolts in the cabinets:

Attachments

• cockpit.jpg
    cockpit.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 41