• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

32 that hasn't been hauled for a time

Matey

Member III
I'm looking at a 69' E32 that's basic topsides, clean below, but hasn't been hauled from fresh water in 8 or 9 years. Owner says he's dove on it and found a pretty clean bottom ?!$* and never had any blistering, but I'm concerned.
If Iget to the survey stage, what particulars might we look for..besides the norm ?
Were these early hulls plagued with anything ?

Thanks, Greg

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I've owned '69 32 #112 since 1991 (tiller-steered).

No blister problems whatsoever.

A boat that hasn't been hauled in so long will need a serious powerwash, but with freshwater flora and fauna this isn't a particularly big deal.

Problems to keep in mind on a survey:
(1) The deck underneath the mast/the overhead underneath the mast. These have a tendency to sag over time; they're supported by the bulkheads in the cabin, in particular the end post of the port-side bulkhead. The fix for this involves a jack and a piece of metal to add stiffness.
(2) The integrity of the balsa core on the deck. This is true of any boat with a cored deck. Repairs for this range from mild to extreme.
(3) The bulkheads where the chainplates attach; this is also true of any boat. If the chainplates have leaked this can be rotten. Replacing the entire bulkhead is an oft-suggested repair but the cost of doing this can exceed the value of the boat. It is possible to effect a less labor-intensive but structurally sound repair; search the archives for this.

On the one hand, you might expect the current owner to make these kinds of repairs if they pop up on the survey. On the other hand, you might not want somebody with a short-term horizon to do the repair, so if you like the boat, my suggestion would be to discount the price accordingly.

ChrisS

Member III
Greg--

Tenders goes over the big concerns, but I'd also add the condition of all steering components, if this boat has a wheel. The PO of my boat tore out all metal supports and stops, and rebuilt the system. Also, if you can get your hands on a moisture meter, check the deck for moisture around all stanchions and fittings, which a surveyor will do from the get-go. Blisters, if there are any, probably won't show until you haul.

What is the condition of the engine, sails, and rigging? Unless you are planning to patiently refit the boat yourself and scour the consignment stores for used gear, you might find that a "bargain boat" isn't worth your time when you factor in the costs associated with buying new sails and rigging, especially if you want to safely sail in the heavy air on the Bay. It can make economic sense to pay more up front for a boat that has been regularly used and maintained, than one that's been sitting for a long time. Take this route and you can spend your money on fun upgrades (as needed) instead of the basics.

Matey

Member III
Thanks for the advise

Next week I'll get a closer look at things. A moisture meter would be slick.
The rigging I was told was checked ok in 99' .. whatever that means. I'd likely replace it and add a furler depending on the survey.
The sails are older. I got a few quotes for the heck of it.
The engine is a rebuilt atomic (not my 1st choice) but I could live with it.
I'm concerned about the boat's care in the last 10 years, but I may as well take a closer look .
I'm likely going to have to pick up something somewhat in the bargin catagory. I just finished a 3 year re-fit on my other boat. It will make me cus and cost me, but I have the time if need be. I can't afford the up front money for a tricked out boat. I'll look at as many as practical before leaping.

Thanks again..I'm sure I'll have many more questions.

* some pictures are at
http://1969e32.blogspot.com/

Regards, Greg

JORGE

Member III
E32 leaks....

I once was scoping a 1969, the deck was like a trampoline.On a boat that old, like my 1971, there's bound to be some deck problems, using a plastic hammer sound the deck all over, for water saturation.
slow as it goes...

she looks fair to me-- topsides,
but how much work and time?

Last edited: