• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

pulling out...

rhewitt

Member II
Hi Folks,

I will be pulling our E-34 "88 out for a bottom job and clean-up next week or so. This will be done with a crane and wide lifting straps.
Question, where is the best place to put the straps under the hull for balance? Need exact spots.
I have seen so many shafts, rudders, skags, props and the hull too damaged and now they ask where to put them.

Need help,

thanks, from San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

Ralph

clayton

Member III
For my 32-200 (smaller version of your boat) I've got transducers located just in front of the keel. The forward cabin bulkhead is just forward of the transducers. Locate your bulkhead, this is a good area for the forward strap. Aft, check the bulkhead forward of where the shaft exits the hull in the aft cabin, (for me, it's the front edge of the aft bunk riser/battery box)look out the porthole and line up with a lifeline stanchion. You want to catch the bulkhead area and miss the shaft. That should have you behind the keel and forward of the shaft exit. Mark the locations (forward and aft) with tape so you can place the straps. Think about marking them permanently for the next time...If possible, lift the stern a little higher to make sure the bow stays in the straps properly. Good luck.
Clayton

Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
My boat (a 32) has 4 notches painted in the bootstripe--two on port side, two on starboard--to indicate where the straps should be. If I recall correctly, they happen to correspond to the aft edge of the cabintop and the forwardmost set of windows.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Lifting an E-34

Ralph - Here are a couple of E-34 pics that may help.

The forward strap is by the 2nd stanchion from the bow, and the aft strap is by the aft gate stanchion. Make sure that they clear your transducers. Not a problem for me.

Basically, you will be OK if the straps are aft of the transducers in front, and forward of the prop shaft.

I put a line between the straps so they don't slip apart.

I don't see any reason to remove the sails or the back stay.

Attachments

• Launch 05 003 (Large).jpg
    Launch 05 003 (Large).jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Xanthus 08 February 001 (Large).jpg
    Xanthus 08 February 001 (Large).jpg
    113 KB · Views: 54