• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fresh Water Tank Replacement

Gmilburn

Member III
Hi all,
Over this last weekend, my pressurized fresh water tank cracked around the plug and is useless. (see photo).

Im wondering if I can repair it with 5200 adhesive with some fiberglass strips--as Im sure it expands slightly each time the pump pressurizes the tank. Or alternatively, where can I get a new one. The manufacturer has been unresponsive to my emails or voicemails. Is there any way to put a flexible bladder on the inside that might form to the same shape as the old tank--or do I just need to bite the bullet and buy a new tank (about $200 I think)?

Thanks, Gary

"Hydrophilic" 1977 E-29 Hull 515

Attachments

• boat water tank.JPG
    boat water tank.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 111

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Plastics!"

I do not know when Ericson Yachts started using only Ronco roto-molded tanks, but it must have been in the early 80's... or before.
I just sourced a larger holding tank from them, and found them to be great to work with.
They have a web site with a PDF catalog containing hundreds of tanks in oodles of shapes and capacities. Try looking thru their catalog.

http://www.ronco-plastics.net/marinetanks.html

Note that you can, in theory, save $20. by going thru another tank vendor with a pretty web site, but the actual tank will still very likely drop-shipped from Ronco. They sell retail, and their prices are very reasonable. I like the idea of eliminating one layer of potential misunderstanding when communicating vital drawings of exactly where I wanted all the fittings to be plastic-welded in place. :rolleyes:

Plan B would be to consider their smaller, albeit equally-established rival, Kracor. http://www.kracor.com/pages/marinecatalog.html
I used Karcor once for a tank for my prior boat and found their QC... lacking...

"YMMV"

Best,
Loren

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
You could also take the dimensions you want to a local machine shop and ask them to build you one out of stainless steel. I got a nice quote three years ago that way, but the price of steel has been rising steadily since.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Gmilburn

Member III
Thanks for the great advice

I have already contacted Ronco and a new tank is being fabricated. Thanks so much for the great advice.
Gary