• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Winch size question

ChrisS

Member III
I currently have a pair of Lewmar 40 self-tailers as my primaries, and I'm looking for a second set of winches to have a pair close to the wheel for singlehanding and to use as spinnaker winches. Despite combing the swap meets, looking on ebay, and contacting several congignment stores, I can't find any super deals that inspire me to buy. (A an aside, I think ebay auctioning tends to make the market competitive for buying used self-taling winches.) My plan was to move the self-tailers closer to the wheel, and put a pair of Lewmar 40 nonselftailers at the forward end of the combing for the crew to use.

Through Tuesday, Defender has a sale price for Lewmar 30 self-tailers for $570 each. I see the power ratio is about the same in the first gear, but significantly less in the second.

Would these winches be too small for using a 110% jib on my boat? Other than power ratios, is there another way to determine winch sizing?

Last edited: