• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E28 Spinnaker halyard

Special K

Member II
Do any of the E28 owners know if the original Kenyon mast fittings came with a sheeve mounted above the head stay for a spinnaker halyard? Does anyone have any experience with masthead spinnaker on a fractional rig? I have seen on grand prix level boats, but I am unsure of stress on mast head. Additionally, I would love to see some photos of E28s with spinnakers flying and deck gear layouts for inspiration with some upcoming projects. Thanks.

FullTilt E28

Member III
Do any of the E28 owners know if the original Kenyon mast fittings came with a sheeve mounted above the head stay for a spinnaker halyard? Does anyone have any experience with masthead spinnaker on a fractional rig? I have seen on grand prix level boats, but I am unsure of stress on mast head. Additionally, I would love to see some photos of E28s with spinnakers flying and deck gear layouts for inspiration with some upcoming projects. Thanks.

I have a bunch of picts of my E28 which we have just upgraded deck gear etc. Shoot me your email I'll send you a invite to my flikr photos.

As for the spin halyard I have the 28+ which is fractional Spin halyard exits center mast just above the forestay/jib. We fly a cruising kite with sock from it. Max boat speed under kite so far is 6.7knots and we were making one hell of a hole in the water. E28 isn't fast but you can really load up the rig. Also we are in the process of building up a new boom as the stock Kenyon boom is way - way under sized for the mid sheeting set up. We are on SF Bay. Just had the new Harken Unit 1 furler installed Friday last week. Haven't even seen it yet. Original Profurl unit blew out the head and also became jammed at the top of the foil.

Traveler was custom built by Garhauler - fit to the existing sock brackets and pre bend over the cabin top. Fantastic work! New Garhauler deck organizers and all in one 4 line rope clutches installed. Almost done!!! Will get it all functioning this weekend and go for a sail.

Boom is still in progress - I found an old broken mast roughly the right size - mast builder has a gooseneck plug for the section so next project is stripping the old boom and building the new boom. Estimated boom cost for self build - free mast section is around $250.

We sail the boat quite a bit when the bits are all working - the old furler killed our sailing plans the past three months. But with all the cruisy crap on board the E28 still sails pretty nice for a comfy little brick house that it is.

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
28 spinny halyards

The optional spin halyard exited the mast just above the hounds as described in the recent post, but the rig should be fine with a masthead (or nearly masthead) halyard.

This will really help in light air (but you will need to build a bigger sail to take advantage-tell your sailmaker what the new "I" measurement is for the kite (you can just give him the height above the hounds and he/she can figure it out).

Just remember the PHRF rating is based on the standard "I", and the related spinnaker size, so you should report this to your local PHRF if you lan to race with the bigger, taller kite. Expect a 3 sec penalty.

S