• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 35 Mystery Chainplate

Bill Merrick

Hi Mike,

No, Phil has the standard rig and I have the short one. There's about a four foot difference. I've been told that Ericson offered the shorter stick for Northern California because the standard rig was considered over powered.

My J is 14 and that's the only number I've ever seen for the 35.

Ergo
1970 E35 MKII #141

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Hi Dan,

No I haven't gutted Ergo yet but will probably move in that direction. As you may know Phil's stick is 4 feet bigger than mine and he only owes me six seconds per mile as a result. That's very unfair. I have to do something drastic or learn to live with the injustice of it all.

Bill
Ergo
1970 E35 MKII, #141

Bill, does this mean your racing in 2010? I don't know if I can make it by then, I'd be more likely to if you were going. Maybe we could find some other ericsons to add to the fleet.
As far as the mast thing goes I totally agree. The ratting hit I take sucks for you, particularly in the long ocean races. So I have a solution! I will sell you my mast and standing rigging! What do you say? Make me an offer!

Michael Cullen
Impromptu
E35 Mk11 #110
How did he end up with a mast four feet higher than yours? Does that mean he put a new mast on that was 46 feet. Can you do that on an Ericson 35? If the rating change is only 3 seconds per mile, why do it?

Michael, I take it you have the 42 foot mast? Thats what I have.
The J on Sail a Vie is 14.0 I think your sail maker made a mistake. You know it's kind of funny. Twenty five years ago any sail maker would have known the rig options and dimension's for these boats. Today you may have a sail maker show up who has never measured an E 35.

Phil

msc1212

Member II
He did measure it wrong. We went down to the boat together and measured it as 14.1' which is the PRHF J measurement for the boat. I'm having a new number 1 sail made for Impromptu - 155% Genoa- Kevlar. It should help me in the light wind sailing on Lake Ontario.

Cheers.

Michael Cullen

msc1212

Member II
Phil,

You're right about the absence of knowledge of Ericsons - particularly in my neck of the woods. The boat is still a legend though. I was at a large regatta last week filled with very fast boats but people still came over to admire my Ericson- it's a novelty now but it's reputation as a fast racer cruiser has carried forward into this millenium. After the race -100mile singlehanded (I came third)- a young professional rigger came up to me on the dock and asked me if I knew my boat was the most sought after boat on the west and east coast in the 1970's. I feigned ignorance and let him go on about what an awesome racer it was in it's day. It's still pretty good especially with the 177PHRF rating which makes it quite competitive for such an "old boat". I had better stop now, of course you know all this and more.

I saw the photos of your boat. It beautiful.

Cheers

Michael

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Michael,

A very similar story. A few years ago I was racing on a larger boat and one of the crew was a very young professional racer/sail maker for a major loft, not mine. He had literally grown up on an Islander 36. When he found out I had an Ericson 35 he said "Wow! those were the Farr 40 of there day!" I really liked this kid before he even said that but I liked him even better after, I think thats a pretty neat comparison.

Congratulations on your victory! Thats great. I might have to move up your way. Down here the stock PHRF is 150.

cheers

Phil

PS Hey Bill what about that mast buddy?

Bill Merrick

Swapping Masts

Phil,

What a deal. Throw in the sails and I'll pitch in, oh, how about $1,000?

Bill Merrick
Ergo
E35 MKII 1970 #141