• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 35 Mystery Chainplate

Mike.Gritten

Member III
I heard that it is there to help keep the deck down. It is attached to a major bulkhead amidships in an area experiencing some significant loads. IIRC, the thinking is that the aft lower will be trying to pull the deck upwards and this little "chainplate" will keep the deck from flexing up and spread those vertical loads into the bulkhead that is firmly glassed to the inside of the hull.
And remember, that and $3.75 will get you a grandé latté at Starbucks!

Bill Merrick

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate the response but, Why dose it have a hole in it?

What I'm thinking about is moving the forward lowers to the center "chainplate" when I'm flying a chute. Using the center "chainplate" would let me get the pole back quite a bit more and would let the boat go deeper. It seems that the rig would be Ok since the pressure would be forward but I don't know what kind of pumping this might set up.

Bill

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Hey Bill!

Fancy meeting you here.

You know I just had a survey done on Sail a Vie and the very good surveyor said the same as Mike. It's to hold the deck down.
If you moved your lowers to those wouldn't they be too long?
Just sail hotter angles

Phil

Bill Merrick

Hi Phil,

I guess that's right but I still don't understand why there's a hole in it unless Ericson just wanted to use the same chainplate. I'll miss losing the Half Moon Bay race to you this weekend but I suppose i can find someone else to beat me.

Bill

Lucky Dog

Member III
Good Question

If am remember correctly there was another post/thread about the middle chain plate this last spring. Someone had posted that he had met will Mr. King and he could not remember why the middle chain plate was there. The PO of my 35II even has a shackle on them. The first owner use to race in northern Michigan, which is how long I think they’ve been there. If it is to help reduce point stress on the deck, I would think there is a better way. It is good for stubbing your toe.
Mark

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
it appears that we have no pirates in this crowd or you would all know that the plates are anchor points for the keelhauling lines!

steven

Sustaining Member
FO replaced Indigo's mystery chainplate with a flat SS cap. Boat sails fine anyway. No toe stubbing (or leaking). But I was kind of wondering if a lead for a small jib trimming inside the shrouds could have been attached there.

--Steve

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
But I was kind of wondering if a lead for a small jib trimming inside the shrouds could have been attached there.

--Steve[/QUOTE]

Yes. In 06 on a return trip from Hawaii to SF, I put the lead for my jib on the mystery chain plate. I use a spinnaker snatch block and a piece of high strength line, (because the hole on the chain plate was too small for the block).
It was blowing around twenty knots +-++ for about two weeks on the nose. I had roller furling then so I was able to roll up my 105% jib to about 70%. With this inside angle I was able to keep point very high. I was double reefed for about two weeks also.
That was my fastest trip home out of three, 18 days. Previous were 20 and 20 days.
That is what convinced me to put down the inside track on my boat, and it has been a great help even in very light air when trying to point.

Bill Merrick has added inside track to ERGO and he tells me it's great.

cheers

Phil

steven

Sustaining Member
Phil,

thanks. The pictures show the placement of the track pretty well. what size headsail are you carrying in the picture?

--Steve

msc1212

Member II
I have an Ericson MarkII built in 1970- hull number is 110, which I think means it was the tenth off the mold. I bought it 3 years ago from a dentist who purchased it from a yacht showroom in Conneticut in 1970. It doesn't have an extra (mystery) chain plate. Was this something added in the production later in 1970? I, too, put an inside track on the boat last year using a Garhauer easy glide track. It's awesome for my 135% and 100%. I had to epoxy a 3/8th marine plywood sheet to the underside of the deck where this track is attached to carry the load. Originally I just drilled through the deck (filling the holes with epoxy) and put in a backer plate. In my first good blow (25-35knots of wind) while using the inside track I noticed the deck along the track was deforming upwards. I epoxied the 3/8 ply over the entire underside of the cabin above the settee and added a bigger backer plate as well. I also epoxied a 2x2 strut along the bulkhead where the main chain plate attaches to the bulkhead. . So far this season I haven't had a repeat. There is no evidence on the boat of an extra chainplate. This is curious?

Michael

Impromptu
Ericson 35MkII 110

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Michael

I don't know the answer to your question but my boat is a 1971 so yes I would guess they started adding them latter.

When you put your 135% on the inside track, do the sheets go inside the shrouds (between the shrouds at the rail and the lowers) or outside (like "normal") and then over the life lines to the track?

Phil

Bill Merrick

Hi Dan. You're missed here in Sausalito.

The inside track does work very well. I just screwed mine to the deck and haven't had any problems with it. Re: the chainplate thing, Ergo is also a 1970 hull # 141 and has the mystery plate.

Bill
E-35 MkII #141

CaptDan

Member III
Hi Dan. You're missed here in Sausalito.

The inside track does work very well. I just screwed mine to the deck and haven't had any problems with it. Re: the chainplate thing, Ergo is also a 1970 hull # 141 and has the mystery plate.

Bill
E-35 MkII #141

Nice to hear from you Bill. Yeah, I have fond memories of Sausalito and the floating homes; among the best 7 years of my life for sure.

Did you ever 'gut' Ergo's interior and customize/bare bones the setup as you threatened to do?

'Kunu' (1977) also has the mystery plate, though I think it adds additional strength to the rig from what I can see.

Take care and sail well.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

msc1212

Member II
Inside track

On Impromptu I put the sheets outside the shrouds and over the lifelines when I use a 135%. When I use the 100% I sometimes put the sheets inside the shrouds. It's fine if I'm pointing high but gets complicated as I come off the wind. When tacking it can be quite tricky with the lines inside the shrouds bearing in mind that the only time I use the 100% is in 20knots plus of wind. As I come across the wind and the sail fills the sheets put some serious outward force on the shrouds. I've never been sure if this is a good thing.

Bill Merrick

Gutting Ergo

Hi Dan,

No I haven't gutted Ergo yet but will probably move in that direction if Phil on Sail La Vie decides to do the Singlehanded TransPac in 2010. As you may know Phil's stick is 4 feet bigger than mine and he only owes me six seconds per mile as a result. That's only about 3.5 hours in a 2120 mile race - very unfair. I have to do something drastic to level the playing field or learn to live with the injustice of it all.

Bill
Ergo
1970 E35 MKII, #141

msc1212

Member II
How did he end up with a mast four feet higher than yours? Does that mean he put a new mast on that was 46 feet. Can you do that on an Ericson 35? If the rating change is only 3 seconds per mile, why do it?

My questions are mostly out of curiosity here but while we are on the subject of early E35mk11's... I have always assumed that the E35MK11 J measurement was 14.1 feet. I just ordered a new head sail for the boat and the sail maker called me because he measured the J on my boat as 14.91 feet. This is a big difference from the PRHF listed rating. How could this be? Does PRHF have it wrong or has my boat been modified somehow?

Michael Cullen
Impromptu
E35 Mk11 #110