• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

'85 35-3 Barient winch questions

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I noticed last night while racing that one of my primary jib sheet winches is getting wobbly on it's base. Can anyone tell me what this might need? Arco sells parts for the winches but no specific service kits. What parts should I need? I would like to get them ordered today without going back out to the boat and take the winch apart. I have another race before the parts will arrive. Also, what model is that? I cannot find any specs in my manual and I forgot to note the model while on the boat last night. Based on a YW search they appear to be ST27s.

Last edited:

Emerald

This seems too easy, but have you checked the screw (bottom of socket where winch handle goes) that holds the drum on to the body? Otherwise, the ones I've seen were pretty simple inside with needle type roller bearings held in a cage. If the screw holding the assembly together is tight, then I'd think you've got some slop showing up in the bearings, but would expect this to show as a gradual looseness, not a sudden change.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Thanks David. I will go out to the boat today and check it. It does seem to have been loose and last night's race was fairly breezy and I think I just have not noticed it as much on lighter wind days.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
They are indeed 27's - supposedly 48x power. I have a "manual" for them somewhere if you need a parts diagram.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
There is a manual for that winch in the "Specs & Documents" section of this site. They are really easy to rebuild. Sounds like it could be the socket head screws/bolts that hold the "gearbox" to the base plate may be loose. That would cause the whole winch to wobble.

You probably don't need any parts; just remove the drum and tighten the screws/bolts.

One note: If you do rebuild the winch be careful of the small bearings that go inside the gears. They are roller bearings in a split cage that is made of plastic. If you aren't careful, when the cage comes apart the bearings will fall all over the place. And the pawl springs can also get away from you...

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I just got back from the boat and the problem is the drum itself. The inner surface of the drum is worn. Unless there is an oversize bearing or I can get a michine shop to install some type of liner, I will probably need to buy new winches.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Bruno at Arco-winches says he may have 2 replacement drums for me. $500 ea. I have to count the teeth on the drum to verify that I have the newer style winch. I will also buy new bearings, spring and paws which should give me essentially new winches.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Well my winches are the wrong type to get replacement drums so now I will be looking at relpacing the entire winch.

Here are the brands I am considering: Lewmar, Anderson, Harken and Arco(australian). The first three make decent winches but I have heard the Arco winches are as tough as the Barients and about half the cost of teh 3 majors. My only holdback is the fact that they are a smaller brand and parts may be hard to get in the future. Anyone have any insight here? I also don't want to spend the farm but want a good quality winch.

My current winches are 27s. I would consider going up a size to increase my leverage. What would be the next size up that could fit the same space?

TIA

Cory B

Sustaining Member
We replaced our Barient 27s (48x power) with Andersent 52s. The difference is more than just the increase in power, but I believe an increase in efficiency which more modern winches provide.

Surprisingly our local chandlerly beat all the online prices. Since then I know there have been a few price increases due to the falling dollar.

When I was researching things the consensus I found was that all the winches were decent, but that the Arco's were considered a little "raw" by some, and the Lewmars have some plastic pieces which may break. Which led me to choose between Harken and Andersen. I went with the Andersens do to their reported lower maintenance needs. We've been happy with them.

Guy Stevens

ARCOS are not Barients

Arco winches are based loosely on the late model Barient designs. They are not cast or machined with anything approaching the level of craftsman ship of original Barients. To say they are rough is an understatement. They do work, however they there is no comparison between them and the ease of using one of the other manufactures products. Simply the machining of a Harken, Anderson, or even a Lewmar is far smoother, far more robust than the casting and machining of an Arco. Therefore the Arco is not as smooth to use, and gives up a fair amount of power to friction, and less precise fit.

The temptation to go with the Arco based on Price is in my opinion a false economy. One that I did make in the past. I would not do so again. Also I have a set of Barients that were mounted right next to the Arcos. The Barients are at least 28 years old, and look practically like new. The Arcos, are less than 10, and look really tattered despite having the same care applied to both winches, which are both chromed bronze.

Although it hurts the wallet initially the choice of one of the other brands will beat the hurt to the wallet twice and the ego that will come from buying the Arcos only to later replace them with one of the other brands.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Thansk Guy and Cory. For the record I buy everything for my boat based on quality, reputation and availability of parts/service. Price was just a bonus I might have enjoyed if the Arco's were reported to be of decent quality. These opinions are exactly what I am looking for to help me buy the correct replacements. It is a big ticket item that I want to last as long as possible with great performance over that life.

Chris A.

Member III
Tim,

If you don't already have it, I'll bring the June 2006 Practical Sailor review of 7 winch brands with me on Wednesday. They rate Andersen at the top and Arco at the bottom and have photographs of disassembled units. Not that I always agree with their reviews.... :)