• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Universal M-18 "auxiliary water pump?" part number/replacement

therapidone

Member III
Over the weekend, my v-belt broke. Further inspection indicated that what might be an "auxiliary water pump" seized, thereby stopping the rotation of one of the 3 pulleys around which the v-belt travels and causing the friction that caused the belt to break.

I'm not even 100% certain it is a water pump, but engine coolant came out when we took off the "cover" for it. As one looks at the front of the Universal M-18, the v-belt goes around 3 pulleys. The one on the upper right (port side of the engine) is for the alternator, the one "on the bottom" is attached to the crankshaft(?), and the one on the upper left (towards the starboard side of the engine) is the one that is attached to this pully that I believe is connected to an auxiliary water pump as part of the freshwater system. I believe it drives the engine coolant to the heat exhanger of the hot water heater for the purposes of heating up the water in the hot water heater. I cannot find anything in the Universal Owners' Manual about this part (i.e., the part number) so that I can order a replacement.

Does anyone know the precise name for this part & the part number so that I can order a replacement?

Regards,

Ed

treilley

Sustaining Partner
You are correct. It is the fresh water circulation pump. Get the engine block serial number and your local Kubota tractor dealer can get it for you. I believe it is the Kubota Z-600 engine.

therapidone

Member III
Thanks!

Tim,

I was even thinking of removing the part to see if there was anything on it that might help identify a part number on my next trip back to the marina where we keep the boat (50 miles away) if that was my only option. I was hoping to be able to order the part before then so that I could install it this weekend.

While reading other posts here earlier, I came across a reference to Torresen Marine. I did a quick search & found their website. After seeing your response, I went back to their site & they had a link to common parts for the M-18 (as well as other engine models). When I followed that link, there was a listing for Pump, fresh water! Instead of blindly ordering the part, I think I'll try to give them a call tomorrow and see if there isn't someone that I can talk to in order that I make sure I get everything that I need. For instance, I think the cover had a gasket between it and the engine block & that was pretty much gone. I'll order a couple of impellers for the raw water pump and gaskets for that too. So, hopefully, they'll have someone with whom I can talk on the phone and get this all locked up before the day is over!:egrin:

Regards,

Ed

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
M-18 fresh water pump

The M-18 engine uses the same pump as the M-25 & the M-25XP. I replaced mine this spring and found that I could buy a Kubota pump for $95 at tractorsmart.com. The cost at Torresen is $275. I actually bought mine locally as it was in stock at the local Kubota dealer for $100.

I found that the only difference was that there is a 3/8" nipple on the Kubota part for the hot water tank connection and a tapped hole for a nipple on the Universal part. I bought a 3/8" hose barb to 1/8" female pipe adapter which connected the pump to the existing nipple from the old pump using a piece of 3/8" hose.

The Kubota part numbers are:

Pump: 15534-73030

Gasket:15676-73430

http://www.tractorsmart.com/enter.htm

Attachments

• Coolant pump May 2008 001A.jpg
    Coolant pump May 2008 001A.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 2,441

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Good point Tom. I had forgotten that the pumps were the same. I actually keep a spare pump and gasket on my boat. I see a little coolant at the base of 3/8" hose. Maybe from installation?

I don't think there are any part numbers on the pump itself Ed. Your local Kubota dealer will virtually insist on the block number for any parts lookups unless you figure this out yourself. You can always check the catalina sites for this info as they have already figured out many of the parts cross reference numbers. I guess that's one good thing you can sat about Cats; Becasue there are lots of them, they have already done some of our legwork

Last edited:

therapidone

Member III
Thanks, again!

Tom and Tim, the pic and the link and the parts numbers are all great info & I really appreciate it.

David, thanks for the Featherman link. I intended to go to Featherman about these items. So Sunday or Monday, I tried to follow a link for Feathermain stored in my "Favorites" file & when I clicked on it (7 or 8 times in a row because I couldn't believe the response that I was receiving), IE came up w/ the "unable to find website or page or whatever" error.

I'm amazed at the price difference between the Universal pump and the Kubota & have to wonder why. Now, I know that a certain business catering to the sailing/boating crowd with the initials of WM charges 3 - 5 times the amount that the K-Mart right next to it charges for the same Fram oil filter that fits my M-18...but does every business associated w/ marine products markup their products that much or is there a real difference between the Kubota and the Universal fresh water pumps in quality or longevity or something?

I think I'll try the Kubota since a) it's cheaper and b) I don't have to buy the nipple to place in the tapped hole in the Universal pump since the Kubota already has a 3/8" nipple (the size of the one Universal says must be bought in addition to the pump for another $15 - $16!).

Just completed my ordering...2 Kubota pumps and gaskets from Tractor Smart and 2 Sherwood Impellor kits from Torresen. Hopefully, I'll have it all by Friday (the raw water pump had nothing to do w/ the problem, but I had already talked about ordering impellors and gaskets just a day or 2 before the fresh water pump crapped out.)!

Thanks again for all the great information.

Regards,

Ed

therapidone

Member III
Featherman

Thanks, Loren...I have worked with John ever since the days that I was wrestling with an Atomic 4 on a 75 C&C Mark I 35-footer and dealing with the Atomic 4 guru, Moyer.

As I mentioned to David (Emerald) earlier in this string, I had a link to Featherman that didn't work (I had planned to order whatever I needed and he handled from him at the outset). After getting nowhere w/ my link and thinking that he might have gone out of business, I posted my question about the part here & got the information about the Kubota pump doing the same job for less than half the cost of the Universal pump replacement part!

I ordered 2 Kubota pumps and gaskets from Tractor Smart in Lebanon, PA, on the 12th & rec'd them yesterday via ground UPS...pretty darned quick, I'd say.:egrin: Now all I have to do is round up the various pieces that I'll need to adapt to the 3/8" nipple on the Kubota pump.

Looks like installation will occur this weekend!

Regards,

Ed

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
Don't know if it is still pertinent but I just rebuilt my M-18 with a complete set of kubota parts including the circulating pump (PN. 15443-73030. $130.10 cdn.) and am totally delighted with the results. I have the complete breakdown from Frontier Equipment in Vancouver...

therapidone

Member III
Got you beat, Graham!

I follwed the link provided by Tom Metzger to Tractor Smart in Lebanon, PA. The Kubota pump was as follows:
Original Part Number 15534-73030
Current Part Number 15534-73030
Description PUMP, WATER ASSY

Price Each Part $95.95
Gaskets were $1.10 each

I bought 2 just in case. Total shipping was something like $11 and no tax--gotta love that internet!

Swapped the old pump out, installed the Kubota and gasket--everything fit perfectly, tightened up the new v-belt, added coolant, ran the M-18 for 1/2 hour, 2/3 of that w/ it in gear. No leaks, belt turned, as did the pump. The 3/8" hose connection on the top of the pump was no problem for me as my coolant hoses to and from the hot water heat exchanger are 1/2" ID. Just tightened the connection w/ a hose clamp & as I said, no leaks. I'll add a 2nd hose clamp later for back-up protection.

I wonder how many other Kubota parts fit the M-18? Injectors? :confused:

When I pull the boat for the winter sometime in October, I've got a few more jobs to do...one of which is to find out where the heck the transmission filler cap is and dipstick (it does have a dipstick, doesn't it?) & see how the level is.

Thanks for the tip.

Regards,

Ed

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
AFAIK, just about the whole thing is Kubota except the raw water pump (tracktors don't seem to have one!!!), the alternator and from the bellhousing back. The injectors should be pure Kubota.:)

therapidone

Member III
Thank you, Don Quixote!

Good to know, Keith! And it's a good thing I don't own a Kubota tractor--I'd be wasting an awful lot of time looking for that raw water pump!:egrin: