• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

engine bilge

Kim Schoedel

Member III
It was time to clean the bilges. I couldn't find any exit hole in the engine bilge. I did see a white plastic pipe that runs through engine bilge foward to the bilge under the dust pan, then a hole into the main bilge, hole to the second bilge, hole to the bilge under the mast. Confused. Where the pipe exits the engine bilge, it is sealed with silicone. Can someone please explain some of this to me.
Thanks.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Sounds as if some PO had the engine pan drain into the engine bilge in a rough seaway, and didn't want to get oil into the main bilge that way again. So he blocked the limber hole tube with silicone.

Why not see what happens if you unblock the tube?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
The engine pan should be sealed in the 35-3 with the tube running through it to allow water from the shaft log to get to the main bilge. How did you know the tube has been sealed with silicon Kim? I would have to remove my sole to get to the exit for that tube.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I noticed this same situation in the E30+

From what I have learned, the engine bilge should be a self-contained area that doesn't drain into the other bilges. This is to prevent any oil or fuel spills from being pumped out into the ocean. (This may actually be some kind of regulation.)

I'm not sure where the tube that runs through the engine bilge terminates. I don't see any outlet in any of the bilges forward of the engine. There are limber holes in those bilges but no connection to the tube. Does it empty into the TAFG?

I have noticed that a fair amount of water collects in an area of the TAFG that is accessible through a cutout in the bottom of the port side settee locker that is against the bulkhead between the salon and the head. Some of the keel bolts are accessible in this area and there is always water in there. Trying to figure out where that water is coming from...

Last edited:

Galley_Slave

Member II
Our first boat, a Pearson 27, had the engine bilge fully connected to the rest of the boat's bilge. It wasn't a big issue until a/ the sound/heat proofing material started to disintegrate and flake off, and b/ it had developed an oil leak.

Both of those issues made the bilge incredibly gross and hard to clean. We took care of the oil but it was not easy and we were careful to not discharge the bad water into the Bay which doesn't need any more excuses to look like crap.

My opinion? I don't think you want to mix the ick from the engine compartment with the rest of the bilge. Keep the silicone plug secure.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Tim, I didn't explain this real well. Hands and knees reaching into the engine bilge from the front of the engine, I felt where the tube runs forward into the forward part of the engine bilge. I felt silicone "around" the outside of the pipe. Now I understand that has been done to insure that engine bilge gunk doesn't leak under the sole.

This brings about a second question, if this silicone seal were to leak, where would the bad stuff go? Under the sole and eventually into the bilge? The seal felt good but I think one should make sure before cleaning under the engine. (this is what I had in mind in the first place-cleaning all the bilge area's) but thought I would ask first. You know, stupid is, stupid does.

Thanks for the input all.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Kim,

I think the silicone is there to keep the pvc tube in place and to keep junk out of the grid. Poking around our boat, I think that when stuff gets in the grid it can sometimes take a long while to get out. We also keep a few of those oil absorbtion pads under the engine to try to catch any oil/diesel before it can get to the bilge. We rarely have water in the pan beneath the engine anyway, probably mostly due to the PSS. Since we've had the boat we've successfully kept the bilge oil free.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Kim, I believe that will go into the area under the companionway steps which is the same area that the tube drains into. That empties into the bilge eventually via limber holes through the grid.

FullTilt E28

Member III
1986 28+ has the same set up - the engine bilge is self contained the white PVC pipe channels water from the aft end of the boat through the bottom of the engine bildge area to the main bildge. My PVC pipe end isnt viewable as it sits in side the pan at the forward side of the engine area.

As I understand it you want the engine bilge area to be self contained for a number of reasons besides oil leaks.