• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sticky Power Cord

Shadowfax

Member III
I don't know if this is a local problem or not. After a few years of use my power cord, the cord that supplies shore power to the boat, gets this black sticky residue on it. I have no idea where it comes from and it only seems to occur on the area of the cord that is in use, not on the area that is coiled up. Does anyone know how to get it off and keep it off?
Cord is the ubiquitous yellow cord you see everywhere.

u079721

Contributing Partner
I've seen it too, and pretty just considered it dirt, or maybe pollution reacting with the PVC of the cord?

Anyway, the way I removed it was with solvent. If you put some acetone or methyl ethyl ketone on a rag you can clean it right up, but it leaves the surface of the cord tacky and porous. You then let the cord dry overnight and coat it with Armorall, which makes the cord slick as all get out but seems to keep it from getting dirty as fast.

Mindscape

Member III
Shore power cord cleaner

Saw an article once in some sailing magazine - Brush Cleaner - it seemed similar to MEK, but didn't leave the cord sticky. Worked for me. I think I bought mine at Ace Hardware. If anyone is interested I'll take a look at the container when I'm home and give more specifics.

Mindscape

Member III
Brush Cleaner

The product that was recomended in the article for cleaning shore power cords was Brush and Roller cleaner that is labeled water soluable. I found some at Ace Hardware a couple of years ago. It came in a quart can like thinner or MEK and was labeled as:
Cleaner
Brush & Roller
Restores hardened brushes long after disuse
Water Soluable
For latex and oil based paints

I used this to clean the shore power cord that was dirty and grimey a couple of years ago and it's been fine since.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
WM also makes a product specifically to clean power cords. I purchased a bottle of it - and it works pretty well (you have to use elbow grease and a rag, however)...

//sse

sleather

Sustaining Member
WM also makes a product specifically to clean power cords. I purchased a bottle of it - and it works pretty well (you have to use elbow grease and a rag, however)...

Yep, it's their heavy duty fender cleaner......"cleans power chords too".;) Works on rub rails too.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Power Cord Cleaner

Yep, it's their heavy duty fender cleaner......"cleans power chords too".;) Works on rub rails too.

No, no - this junk (StarBrite Power Cord Cleaner) is specific to power cords (not that the other stuff won't work also - just what I have experience with...).

Pretty cheap - $13 a bottle - give it a try when it's warm and you have some cold beers around and a bunch of clean rags - you'll see...

I also got a bag to put it in to help keep it clean...

//sse

Attachments

• 186140.jpg
    186140.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 210

Galley_Slave

Member II
I also use fender cleaner. I can't recall the brand. It's not one of the regular brands. I bought it at Viking (Annapolis) before they closed. I also swear by 3M's scrubbers. They come in flat 6x8? sheets. They're coarse. I cut them into smaller pads and use them for everything from cleaning my ceramic stove top at home to the power cord on the boat. The combination of the scrub pad and the fender cleaner made the PIA job pretty easy. I did it once before using something like Comet and a rag. It wasn't nearly as easy or quick.

Blue Chip

Member III
Best yet

FINALLY a topic I know something about. I have tried tem all...fender cleaner for fenders...power cord cleaner for pc etc. They all work with ELBOW GREASE of course. The acetone really works but does leave the cord very sticky.
NOW, along comes the ACE brand brush and roller cleaner and blows all the others away. No comparison. I did a power cord that was brand new two months ago, used when BLUE CHIP was in the yard for 4 days and it was FILTHY. I believe a lot of it is creosote from the traeted wood on the docks. Anyway, the cord looks brand new today. Amazing stuff.
Tip!! The wetter the better. Not a damp rag...a w e t rag. Let the product do the work, and a nylon "scruby" is not a bad idea.
Thansk for the tip!

Shadowfax

Member III
OK, I went out and picked up a can of the ACE brand brush and roller cleaner. Amazing stuff and excellent results. About $8.00 a can and besides easily cleaning your cord and leaving no residue, it also cleans paint brushes.

Highly recommended.

Mindscape

Member III
Ace Brush Cleaner

I've had the same can of cleaner for a couple of years, used it to clean the shore power cord, it worked so well I thought that was what it was for and the can was mislabeled. Have never considered cleaning a paint brush with it:egrin: