• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cabin Locker Ventilation

sbuck

sailor Steve
Does anybody know of a reason that there is no venting of the seat lockers in my E-27? Has anybody placed a vent or vents from the seat locker into the cabin? I have never seen seat lockers vented but cannot think of a reason they are NOT vented. Venting these lockers would help reduce condensation etc. and actually make them usable I would think. Any thoughts?

CWM

Chuck
Steve:

Attached is a photo of one of the vents use on my seat lockers in my E-27.

Attachments

• DSCF5911.jpg
    DSCF5911.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 93

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Lots of Vents

Over the last decade we have eradicted all (!) mildew odor in our interior by cleaning under everything. AND by adding approx 10 new plastic and ss vents to various fronts of settees and interior moldings. They Just Work.
I do not, however, defend their "looks."
:rolleyes:

This is a recent picture of the port settee and shows the heater grill for the engine coolant-driven cabin heater as well. The starboard settee has three vents. As I recall, the square vents install over the openings created with a 4" hole saw. There are a couple of places where I used the longer retangular version, and had to use a saber saw, which took longer to lay out and cut.

:nerd: But wait, there's more! We also use the lock-together DriDeck squares under areas where stuff is stored. That way nothing sets right on the hull and any condensed moisture can evaporate immediately.

If I had an all-teak interior like the later E-boats, I would probably have gone with teak grates instead of the utilitarian-looking plastic, FWIW.

Loren

ps: "Wind Charmer" is a way cool name!

Attachments

• Vents,port-settee.jpg
    Vents,port-settee.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Emerald

The original/prior owner of Emerald drilled holes in the doors to the lockers needing ventilation. In this picture you can see everything from the anchor locker to the bilge access has been drilled. He had apparently seen it done on some "neat" boat at a show and decided to do it to Emerald. Some like the look, others don't. It's the way I first saw her, not knowing it wasn't factory, and so it looks "right" to me. :egrin: It does seem to make a big difference when compared to the few stowage areas (galley & nav station) that he didn't do.

Attachments

• drill-vent-holes.jpg
    drill-vent-holes.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 120

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
a way to finish those holes, maybe

I have sometimes pondered gluing in "teak finger pulls" into each vent hole if doing something like that on a teak panel...
This would cover the drilled-out edge and the raised part would be kind of classy looking, strictly IMO.
;)

Loren

Attachments

• px147148a.jpg
    px147148a.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 221

Glyn Judson

Mildew in the locker.

All, David on E31, hull #44, Emerald, has holes in his hanging locker door so probably hasn't had problems with mildew there as I have had in the past. I solved the problem by installing two louvered stainless vent plates in the locker, one at the bottom of the door and the other at the top side. I mounted an old Kodak projector cooling fan behind the upper one, well away from the coat hanger bar, etc and have it hard wired to the AC system. So whenever I'm plugged in to shore power at the slip, that fan is running. I'll bet it's been there for 10 years and it's still going strong. I might add that prior to installing the fan, I pulled back all the ribbed fabric liner that is glued to the hull and washed that area as well as the rest of the inside of the locker with liquid Lysol from a bottle (not the spray which at one time was merely a deodorant and not a mold and mildew killer). I then glued it back with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive thinking foolishly that all would be well in there given that it came from South Carolina to live with me here in SoCal. Nothing could be farther from the truth, thus the fan which did the trick. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

sbuck

sailor Steve
Thanks to All

Thank you for the input, ideas, and pictures. The planning starts now for the panels - teak or plastic, hum....(wife gets to decide actually.) I too use the DriDeck and love how it keeps moisture from condensation away from stored items. I'll post pictures when I'm done. I can't have a fan as I'm on a mooring so natural ventilation will have to do.

THANK YOU

Mindscape

Member III
Just Curious

David (Emerald),
In the picture you posted it there is a hand in the picture and it looks like it is on top of, what looks to me like, a mast step. Just curious what those are there for??

Emerald

Hi,

those are indeed steps that the original/prior owner mounted. I believe he mounted them primarily to have an escape route alternate to the companion way e.g. you've got an engine fire and can't get out via the companion way and have to go the other direction. He was very fire worried - think he left me 6 extinguishers on board. His son told me that his dad would sometimes also use them when working on the bottom part of the mast, but for the life of me I can't figure out what he would have been doing on the bottom of the mast and why you'd want to stand on them when you could sit on the deck. I left them figuring that the emergency out was not a bad idea. The kids are fascinated by them, and I know it's just a matter of time before one of the critters decides that's how they're going topsides :egrin:

Emerald

I have sometimes pondered gluing in "teak finger pulls" into each vent hole if doing something like that on a teak panel...
This would cover the drilled-out edge and the raised part would be kind of classy looking, strictly IMO.
;)

Loren

I like that idea Loren. I'd certainly qualify for the bulk discount - he drilled quite a few holes when all said and done. Luckily, he taught wood working, and got everything centered and square and straight. Would be a visual disaster to do this and not have the holes perfectly laid out. I wonder if anyone makes bronze rings like the wood ones you show? As long as they were a dull finish, that might also trim them out nicely - Glyn -your ever see any rings like this in bronze?

Last edited:

jkm

Member III
Glyn

Are you saying that the mildew originated in South Carolina?

I've never found a drop of condensation in Penguin, probably because she has spent her entire life in MDR.

I've used computer fans in many applications and found them to be very reliable, quiet and efficient. Thats a great idea for just moving the air around the boat.

John

Glyn Judson

Mildew in the locker.

John and all, In no way did I intend to slight South Carolina but it might be a bit more humid and hotter there than compared to SoCal. The mold could have even originated long before she was in South Carolina given that she'd originally come from Lake Michigan since new and only spent a year in South Carolina before I bought her and had her shipped out to SoCal. Add to that a potentially leaky chain plate in the locker and they all contribute to the potential of mold and mildew in that closed space. The fan has done the trick by pulling air out of the locker from the top and the louver at the bottom lets cabin air in, that in addition to a 40 or 60 watt Golden Rod heater at the bottom of the locker. Glyn Judson, E31 marina del Rey, CA