• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Photos of Ericson's Under Sail Day! Aug. 3rd!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Photos of Ericson's Under Sail Day! Aug. 3rd!

After getting messages from Meanolddad (Greg, Regulus II), Bill Upchurch (Bill, Golden Girl), Mikebat (Mike,Valinor), The consensus is to wait until Sunday August 3rd. I have talked to Greg and we are going to shoot for meeting at the area around Bait Barge in the middle of Hurricane Gulch between 10 & 11 am hopefully before the wind pipes up.

I have Greg's and Mike's cell numbers so we can call each other and decide on a VHF channel to communicate on. Off hand I am thinking 68 or 72 as they are non commercial channels. We could also decide where would be best to take the photos. Possibly inside the harbor if it's not too congested, or a few miles offshore.

As far as gathering up the digital photos or film, I figure we could exchange addresses through the back channel, private messages and mail the files and or film to each other.

Try to bring the best camera's possible. "If you don't look good, we don't look good". Didn't Vidal Sassoon say that?

This should be king of fun. Thanks to www.boatpix.com for the idea!
:cheers::egrin::cheers::egrin:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Greg and I went out Sunday to test the waters, so to speak, and took photos of each other's boats. All I had was my little Olympus 310 8 mega pix 5 power point and shoot. I think there are some keepers here.

Greg, send me your mailing address and I can send you a CD and some color Xerox prints. I have many other shots. Beautiful boat!!

Also as you know Greg, I dropped my Cell phone in the water that day while trying to set the whisker pole, so I will need your phone number.

I should have a better camera next week. Hopefully I wont drop that in the drink.

Bill & Mike, let me know if you plan to be there next Sunday and send me your cell numbers, back channel as well.

Oh yeah. The dog's name is Splash. My friend, Captain UpChuck's dog.

Jeff

Attachments

• P7270085.jpg
    P7270085.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 87
  • P7270090.jpg
    P7270090.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 89
  • P7270099.jpg
    P7270099.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 90
  • P7270128.jpg
    P7270128.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 95
  • P7260071.JPG
    P7260071.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 70

Meanolddad

Member III
The pics with the point and shoot came out well Jeff. We used a couple of 7.1 mega point and shoot and a 35mm, will have to wait to see how the 35mm come out. Will send them all when the 35mm comes back. It was fun just tacking around with Jeff while tacking pictures. When we hove to we got the best pictures, really settles the boat down. Maybe have one boat heave to taking pics while the others sail around.
Here are a couple of samples we took downsized to post here.
Sorry about the cell phone Jeff.

Greg

Attachments

• email sail 1.jpg
    email sail 1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 78
  • email sail 2.jpg
    email sail 2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 73
  • email sail 3.jpg
    email sail 3.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 78
  • email sail 4.jpg
    email sail 4.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 83

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Jeff

Jeff~

Stow your damn fenders when you get your pictures taken on the 3rd. You look like a powerboater with them on the deck!

Just kinda kidding, nice shots.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Thanks for posting those Greg! Man, your boat really moves! She looks fantastic! Love that big main. There is no way I could keep up with you.

Rob, your right about the fenders. Maybe I'll take the outboard off as well. But hey, that's what my boat looks like most of the time. I'm never thinking of winning a beauty contest. I like having the fenders ready because I single hand my boat so often. Less time away from the helm that way. OK, I'm a bit lazy too.

Enough fun for today. Gotta get back to the grind stone.

Jeff
:egrin:

Meanolddad

Member III
Thanks Jeff
Regulus is a fun boat to sail, we really had great conditions out there yesterday.
Jeff's boat is so pretty in person that I did not even notice the fenders. After seeing Jeff's boat all I could think of while we were sailing about was that I really needed to spend a little more time with the wax and varnish.:rolleyes: My daughter even commented on how nice Jeff's boat was.

Greg:egrin:

Attachments

• email sail 5.jpg
    email sail 5.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 198

Glyn Judson

Visible fenders.

Rob, Fenders over the side when out sailing are referred to as Marina del Rey Burgees in these waters. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Well, I guess I'm just not one of those sailors that was toilet trained at gun point. I wasn't even in the Navy for that matter. Technically my fenders are not over the sides, they are resting inside the toe rail, inside the stanchions.

I'll never be Yacht Club material. I'll try not to disappoint next time.

Sheeesh?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Thanks,

Greg, Mike & Bill. I now have all your cell numbers. I will meet you all around the Bait Barge in the Gulch between 10:30 and 11:30 next Sunday. Make sure you all stow your fenders and any other unsightly unmentionables.

See you then!
:egrin:

Meanolddad

Member III
If nothing unsightly is allowed I will just send my daughter and I will stay home.
See you Sunday
Greg:egrin:

Attachments

• Sailing photos first try 3.jpg
    Sailing photos first try 3.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 190

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Yeah! Come on out Martin! You are going to show us all up with that beautiful Independence 31!

Remember, I met you in the Yard last March. Hopefully we will have as nice conditions as we did last Sunday. A nice light offshore with clear sky's.

See you Sunday.

Jeff

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Rob, Fenders over the side when out sailing are referred to as Marina del Rey Burgees in these waters. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey

Glyn, Rob, et al,

In my waters, we call fenders over the side, "MDR racing stripes!" Save all that for the Cat****a's and H**ters.

Have fun getting your pictures shot, and no visible fenders!:egrin: Also find out who has the fastest Ericson in LA/Long Beach? After all, whenever two sailboats are going in the same direction, they are racing, right?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
OK then, Sunday's the day. Do any of you have a recommendation of a good VHF channel to communicate on? When I was trying to talk to Greg last Sunday on Channel 72, I noticed a lot of Sport Fisherman we're using it. Maybe Channel 68 this time?

I have Mike, Greg & Bill's #s in my new cell now, so I know how to reach you all. I borrowed a very nice Cannon 12X zoom, 8.3 Mega Pix.

NOAA sez:

Sunday: Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 78. South southeast wind 6 to 16 mph becoming west.

SUN
WIND VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS...BECOMING SW TO W 10 TO 15 KT
IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 2 TO 4 FT.
PATCHY FOG IN THE MORNING.

SUN NIGHT
SW TO W WINDS 10 TO 15 KT...BECOMING VARIABLE 10 KT
OR LESS. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 2 FT OR LESS. PATCHY FOG
AFTER MIDNIGHT.

Meanolddad

Member III
Hey all
Weather looks good for this weekend.
We will be at the bait barge around 10:30-11:00 even if I have to drag the crew out of bed. We will have batteries for the handheld VHF this time. I will have the digital point and shoot and a SLR 35mm to take pictures. The 35mm pictures were sharper from last Sunday. The digital is easier to deal with though.
See ya Sunday
Greg

Meanolddad

Member III
Channel 68 sounds good. The weather is starting to look like a repeat of last Sunday and that is a good thing in the gulch. We will be able to leave the Genoa rolled out all the way.:egrin: And no reef in the main.:egrin::egrin:
Greg

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Channel 68 it is!

The Weather was overcast until about 12:30 pm yesterday. Burned off by 1:30 or 2 pm. Channel 68 it is! The afternoon was just beautiful yesterday!

NOAA: Today: Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 76. South southeast wind 6 to 16 mph becoming west.

No worries about being right on time. I will be sailing most of the day.

See you out there!

:egrin::egrin:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Report from the Hurricane Gulch Photo Shoo

Report from the Hurricane Gulch Photo Shoot. First off it was pretty overcast in the AM when I met up with Bill's Beautiful E-35 Golden Girl. We had a nice chat while we waited for Greg's E-30+ Regulus. Mike Bachelor's head sail was still at the loft so Mike was aboard the "Pride of Cucamonga" with me.

Finally the sun came out and the three boats headed out past the Angels Gate but we had absolutely no wind. We did the best we could to get some wind in our sails as we tacked around each other. Often with our iron spinnaker's running. I did a shout out on the VHF to see if there we're any other Ericson's joining us and I got a reply from Martin on his E-31 Independence "Summer Wind". Martin had sailed all the way up from Alamitos Bay. Bill and "Golden Girl" had already departed at that point. So then it was just the three boats. Finally the wind did pick up at around 2pm and we we're able to get a few better shots.

Here are some samples my results. I was using a camera unfamiliar to me so they are not quite what I was expecting. I had the camera on a high speed setting, so they are in focus but a little grainy. They are 13" X 18" at 180 dpi. I think with a couple of slight photo shop adjustments, nice prints can be made.

I had my Fenders stowed this time but because of the light winds and the distraction of taking photos, I forgot to release the boom lift that secures the boom to the split aft stay. It wasn't until after we we're finished shooting and we finally got some wind that Mike noticed it was still connected. It will be interesting to see the photos of that.

Any way, all and all it was fun to see four Ericson's on the water and get to meet Bill, Greg, Martin, Mike and their crews.

Since the wind was so light it was hard to estimate who had the fastest boat, but if I had to guess, it would be Greg's Fractional Rig, 30 plus!

Jeff
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/images/smilies/grinning_ericson.gif

Attachments

• IMG_1454.jpg
    IMG_1454.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1460.jpg
    IMG_1460.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1473.jpg
    IMG_1473.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 70