• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Olson 34 For Sale (Pacific NW)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
OK, so I have this genial and persistent yacht broker now romancing me with a very clean E-38/200. This causes us to ponder if anyone wants to buy our '88 Olson 34. We acquired it in '94 and are the second owner.

All systems on it have been replaced or upgraded.
Tall rig. About 1900 hrs on the 23 hp Universal M25XP diesel in great shape. All coolant and fuel hoses are new or near-new.
Long factory option list including full spinnaker gear, larger winches, and second water tank. Winches: two Lewmar 46ST, two Lewmar 43ST, and two Lewmar 30ST.

Garmin 3005c networkable chart plotter, Furuno 1715 radar and ST60 instruments with nav station repeater, and Autohelm A4000S autopilot. AH meter and new electric fuel gauge. Frigoboat fridge w/keel cooler.

New larger water (60 gal in two) tanks, fuel (19 gal), and holding (20 gal) tanks.
NO window or deck leaks and both opening hatches have been replaced with newer model Lewmars.
Six Lewmar opening ports. We replaced all four Lexan fixed ports in '95. Also replaced all the original thruhulls with upgraded Forespar "oem" flanged seacock models.

Custom stanchion braces/upgrade; double-braced gate stanchions. There is a spare 44" SS wheel. Heatercraft cabin heat. Hatch-width Dodger with winter cover and zip-in back bug screen. Hatch and dodger sun covers. Feathering 2-blade prop. Avon liferaft, valise type.

All PM's are up to date: keel was rebedded, rudder dropped and checked, recent new motor mounts, two T-145 Trojan house bank batteries with a separate spiralcell starting batt. PSS shaft seal with new boot in '07.

New standing and running rigging a few years ago. New lifelines. Newer bilge and water pumps and hoses. Newer Hyd. backstay. Newer rod vang. Late model UK main and 135 furler on a Harken RF. Tri-radial spin in an ATN sock. New 100% jib.
And the list goes on and on, and on and on......

Yeah, I know -- A recession is not a perfect time to cast my lure into the recreational waters, but you can't get an answer if you never ask the question!
:rolleyes:

Price: $60K. There is a *lot* of money and skilled labor invested in preventative maint. and upgrades in this particular boat. Fully Optimized for comfort and speed, without adding any unnecessary weight.

There is a spec. sheet elsewhere on this site, but the basics are: 34' LOA, 10' 10" Beam, 6' Draft. Ericson-built, hull #8, with solid layup hull and thru-bolted hull to deck joint. Zero leaks. All furniture modules/bulkheads are tabbed in; NO "floating bulkheads!"
Reportedly rates 99 phrf with a 150 genny. We have the speed of an Express 34 with a much nicer cruising interior and no hull core concerns. Spar is keel-stepped and the base is corrosion free. Double spreader with runners (which are not needed in protected waters).

Cheers,
Loren
(sailaway10 AT comcast DOT net, with obvious corrections...)
:cheers:

Attachments

• Us-at-Ranier-dock.jpg
    Us-at-Ranier-dock.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 824
  • lorez-0-34-starboard-side.jpg
    lorez-0-34-starboard-side.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 976
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Close, but no sea-gar

Hey Loren,

Maybe Laura Bertran can hook you up with Terry Gross ;-)

You may have just revealed a little about your age... and certainly about mine! :)
While I do like Terry's NPR interviews, our boat name is from the QMS rock band in the late 60's. Our prior boat was named "Quicksilver."
:cool:

Regards,

Loren

ps: speaking of the 60's, any potential next boat will definitely *not* be named "New Riders of the Purple Sage" !!

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner

You may have just revealed a little about your age... and certainly about mine! :)
While I do like Terry's NPR interviews, our boat name is from the QMS rock band in the late 60's. Our prior boat was named "Quicksilver."

Regards,

Loren

ps: any potential next boat will definitely *not* be named "New Riders of the Purple Sage" !!

Well if we're going to pay homage to QMS (also dating myself here) the name to choose should be "Pride of Man". But methinks that might be a bit too much of a temptation to Neptune to sink her, so best leave that one alone.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
More photos

Anchored out during summer vacation in '06.
The "anchor sail" keeps it head to wind without sailing around the anchor.
Also here is a pic of the feathering prop and "shaft shark."

Loren

Attachments

• TonguePt-lorez.jpg
    TonguePt-lorez.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 240
  • LoRezLineCutterInstalled.jpg
    LoRezLineCutterInstalled.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

FullTilt E28

Member III
Richmond YC here in SF has a few 34s

It might be a good idea to post it at the club. We have a number of Olson 34's that race etc in SF. Most are parked at RYC.

Original rudders are bad most have upgraded to the Schumacher eliptical carbon rudders for much improved driving with the kite and also the original rudders were known for failing at the fin/post weld inside the rudder.

2000 Pac Cup I raced SF to Oahu on O34 Red Sky which is raced very hard in SF. We finished 1st corrected out 2nd after 2200 miles. 15.5 knots sustained was our highest surfing speed. Solid boat for double or single handed efforts also. Fantastic boats! Had you listed this a year and a half ago I'd be talking to you right now. But we settled on a really nice Ericson 28 - almost done with all the usual upgrades of old stuff.

I'll print off your posting above and pin it up at RYC.

If I had your boat I'd have a very hard time going from a very nice 34ft fairly good performer to an older design heavier 38footer unless your looking for something way more long distance cruise capable. O34 is 12,000 lb racer cruiser thats pretty well fitted for cruising.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Interesting that a respected local yard told me to not change rudders. Ours was dropped for inspection a few years ago while the keel was off for a re-bed and no problems were found.
Ours has eliptical fins -- both rudder and keel. Our rudder is a Schumacher design - Carl told me so.
FWIW, this is the first time I have heard of any O-34's "needing" a different rudder.

I wonder if Bruce's much-traveled O-34 (in your club) that he raced to Hawaii has had a rudder mod?

Best,

Loren

ps: and thanks for the offer to post.
pps: according to an experienced Travelift operator, our boat weighs very close to the factory disp. of 10600 # (light load displ) .

Last edited:

FullTilt E28

Member III
Interesting that a respected local yard told me to not change rudders. Ours was dropped for inspection a few years ago while the keel was off for a re-bed and no problems were found.
Ours has eliptical fins -- both rudder and keel.

I wonder if Bruce's O-34 (in your club) that has raced to Hawaii has had a rudder mod?

Best,

Loren

ps: thanks for the offer to post. I note that a Richmond area broker has just sold a full race O-34 for around 59K, and I believe that I know that boat and have been aboard it...

Here is what I know. RedSky not Bruces boat which is one of the lets say cream puff boats - Red Sky did 5 Pac Cups their 2nd Pac Cup they lost the rudder 400 miles from Oahu. Backup rudder systems are required they did 4 knots the last 300 miles then started pushing it and broke the back up. They limped into Oahu under their own power.

The standard O34 rudder was known for not giving you much of a warning before getting into round up mode with the kite up. So the owner of Red Sky went to Schumacer's house one day and left with plans for a rudder that would solve all his issues. Basically the same rudder that the Express 37's upgraded to. Yes the original rudder on the O34 is Eliptical but based on 1980's knowledge - the new rudder was 100X better for the driver much better feedback and made for more enjoyable kite flying.

As far as I was told a couple of the O34's in SF that race and do ocean trips decided to update their rudders given the failure and not so fun driving the old rudder was known for. If the original rudder was not abused/sailed hard with the kite chances are its fine - but the way it was built - stainless post with a stainless fin welded to the tip - then encased in the foil etc - the consensus was hard sailing with kite caused flex to occur at the weld between the post and sheet of stainless which eventually caused the weld to fail.

Redsky lost their rudder in the early morning while surfing waves through squal lines approaching Oahu. Owner told me they had maybe 8 inches or so of rudder left on the boat the rest was gone.

Keep in mind Red sky has been sailed very hard over the years. Had cockpit instrument faces smashed by waves over the stern - which is why the owner now has very beefy companionway hatch boards - basically hightech bullet proof plastic hatch boards with a slick tie down/locking mechanism to keep them from leaving the boat.

RedSky is by far the most used of the O34's on the Bay dispite this past year or so of being parked.

All that said Fanstastic boats! If I had the money this one would be high - very high on my list. I've sent it to two people looking for boats in this size range. Bring it to SF and it would hold value and sell quite well given our fleet of 99ers and O34 sailors etc.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
delivery option

I should add that our boat is quite sea-ready, and that delivery is possible to Puget Sound or south to SF, weather and insurance permitting...

Loren

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I was considering the O34 for the performance but I am so glad we bought the E35. She is pretty, fast and fun.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Oh My !

She is pretty, fast and fun.

Hey Tim, if either of our wives read your response, watch for eye-rolling and listen for ironic laughter!
;)

Loren

(married for several decades... same woman... )

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Just over 1 decade loren with the original model and she has the same attributes as the boat!

:devil:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Your wife is 10.5 feet wide and weighs 12,000 pounds?

Sounds like a keeper! What's her PHRF rating?

Oh, wait...I just saw your OTHER post....

James Spencer

Olson 34 for sale.

Is this boat still available? Sadly, I'm not familiar with the O34 since there are very few on Lake Ontario. I definitely like what I've read so far but I've seen no pictures of the interior. Any chance you have some handy. My last boat was a 1984 C&C 34 so any comparisons might be interesting. email: spencer@ca.ibm.com