• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

35-3 DC panel positions

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I have a 1985 35-3 with a DC panel that has 3 columns of breakers, a voltmeter on the top left and a battery switch on the top right. Can anyone tell me how many switches are on this panel? I am not on the boat right now and am looking into panel upgrades.

Ray Rhode

Member III
Tim,

Here are a pics of the origanal panel and my new one. ( At least I hope they are attached.) I suggest that you look at the number of things that don't really need circuit breakers/switches. I eliminated several breakers for things like the AM/FM radio, VHF, GPS, etc. They all have their own ON/OFF switches so I ran the power through a fuse panel. Things like running lights, cabin lights, etc. I left on breakers. It will save you some money.

Attachments

• Original panel.jpg
    Original panel.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 10. Finished installation.JPG
    10. Finished installation.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 68

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Ray. Not quite the same panel. Mine has a few more switches than that(I think 6 by 3 columns). I like your new setup though. What brand is that new panel? Is the base panel something you bought or made?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The factory panel for the late 80's Ericson 34, Ericson 38, and Olson 34 is the same, based on limited visits to other boats. Two vertical rows of DC breakers @ 7 per row for a total of 14.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/attachment.php?attachmentid=1670&d=1153237065

(Picture link for the one in our boat.)

I know that Ericson changed panel and breaker styles sometime in the mid 80's, but not just when or for which boats first...

Loren

Chris A.

Member III
Tim,

Peregrine has a custom panel which is pretty slick that I would be happy to show you (pictures or in person).

-Chris

Ray Rhode

Member III
Tim,

The panels (AC and DC) are from Blue Sea, I mounted them using a piece of Starboard. The lower panel is fixed and held the galvanic isolator until I moved it. It was a pretty tight fit and required some cutting of the bulkhead but it worked out very well.

Ray

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I found an old photo of the panel last night and there are 15 breakers/switches. They appear to be the same design as the Blue Seas. I bought one of them to go test fit on the boat today. If it is compatable, I will simply replace all the breakers and lights when I rewire.