• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Steering Problem

tadslc

Member III
This is my first post. I am the new owner of a 1986 Ericson 32-300 that has been taken very good care of. Been out on several sails and after not sailing for 20 years, am getting back in the groove. I keep the boat in Niceville, FL.

I do have a concern that happened over this past weekend. The wheel is now off center like something has slipped. It's almost like it skipped a link on the chain. This did happen just after I lubricated the chain the previous weekend but didn't take her out afterword. I have spent a while searching this forum for something similar, found many references to the steering but nothing similar.

I opened the panel in the 1/4 berth and observed the steering quadrant while a friend moved the steering wheel. To my eye's all looked OK but I know it isn't.

Anyone have any suggestions. I'm thinking of replacing the chain/cable but this may not be needed.

Thanks,

Tad Bailey

Shadowfax

Member III
In order to make sure you don't have an issue with the rudder itself, get in the water and hold the rudder while someone moves the wheel. If they can move the wheel and the rudder doesn't move, you may have a problem with the rudder shaft inbeded in the rudder having come free. This is rare.

The problem could still be in the wheel linkage. Also assuming you have an Edson wheel system, go to their web site and they have an exploded view of the system and how to rebuild it. It is a pretty simple system. There is a rebuilding kit available. I'd check to make sure the chain is tight enough so that it cannot slip a tooth and I'd also make sure that the cables are equally tight on each side of the quadrant. If they are not then the wheel will go off center.

Good luck

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I had a scare when I disassembled the steering on my E38. The cables had meathooks, the ferrule ends were bent (lack of a proper quadrant stop), the whole system was in poor shape. Replaced cables and chain, etc. etc. cleaned and greased everything. The story here is if its not right, or something changes and you cannot explain it, take it all apart and find out why. Loss of steering is no joke. RT

tadslc

Member III
I checked the rudder and post when I recently had the boat out during the survey so I really am hoping it's not that. I believe I have the now defunct Yacht Specialties steering system but understand the replacement chain and cable can be adapted from Edson parts.
I headed down to the boat this weekend and will report back with what I find. I'm hoping that maybe there is just too much slack in the cable and it caused the chain to jump a tooth.
I will probably go ahead and order a replacement chain/cable from Edson, I'd bet it's never been changed.

Anyone know what length I need?

Thanks,
Tad

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Edson will have what you need but it is cheaper to get it from Defender than direct from them. My YS setup needed #50 chain and 3/16" wire I believe? They have all the parts and the project is fairly simple not counting the lack of access on most systems. I should add that the pins Edson supplies to transition from chain to cable are too long by 1/4". The excess pin can get caught on the shifter/throttle cable mounts. Ask me how I know..... I just shimmed the excess aft, away from the mounts but the correct fix is to use a shorter pin or cut/drill the supplied pin. Not a huge deal. The YS sheaves can be rebushed if needed. RT

Emerald

Don't forget that even with a "good" condition wheel system, make sure you've got the backup steering pieces on board. I think this was standard on Ericsons. Both my prior 27 and current 31 have provisions for emergency tiller fitting in case the whole wheel system fails. Do be sure some prior owner didn't toss the items and you really have all the pieces on board. For the 27, it was truly a normal tiller, and on the 31, it's a cap and tiller that fits on top of the rudder (transom mounted).

tadslc

Member III
Thanks guys

Anyone heard of a company called Rigging Only? While on my internet search, I found where they are the supplier of the chain/cable kits Edson sells. I'm giving them a call today and will report back.

I do have the emergency tiller on board, hopefully I won't have to use it.

Happy Sailing

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I'm not familiar with Rigging only, but PYacht.com & Defender I have dealt with for years and both give very fast service. PYacht.com is much cheaper ($246).

Mindscape

Member III
Riggin Only

I've used Rigging Only for a number of things, but not steering components, and had excellent luck and service. Seem like knowledgeabe guys as well.

I have no ties to them.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I have used Rigging Only, very good prices and knowledgeable too. Also close to me so shipping is quick and cheap. A member in my club winters their boat near the Rigging Only shop and confirms they are the real deal, full service rigging shop with all the latest stuff/equipment. No interests other than a happy customer. RT

tadslc

Member III
I was at the boat Friday and did some work on the steering system. It seemed the wheel had moved 2 teeth on the chain sprocket which I corrected. I couldn't visually tell condition of the sprocket itself but didn't notice anything odd. The chain and cable look in good shape. According to the manual, there should be 1" of cable deflection per foot. After loosening the cable to adjust the chain, I then tightened the cable up per specs. I did also notice the two pulleys weren't totally tightened allowing them to rotate slightly. The pulleys themselves seem to be in good condition also. Overall, I felt the steering system was in good overall condition without actually disassembling the whole system. No corrosion or frayed wire to report.
Unfortunately I was unable to actually test my work due to poor weather conditions but will report back when I do.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Check the chain sprocket carefully for bent or damaged teeth. Also
check the spindle keyway and key carefully for damage. If anything
is wrong in this area, it would cause the offcenter problem. While
you are at it, check the wheel keyway and make sure the
key is properly seated there as well.

Martin

Last edited: