• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Screw in the Diesel Tank

Brian K

Member III
Yup, I dropped a SS screw (1 1/4" 10/32 just to give you some idea on size) into my diesel tank while replacing the sending unit last weekend. AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!! At least I didn't drop the SS "C" ring that I bought along with the WEMA sending unit. I tried to retrieve it with one of those claw grabber tools but couldn't even connect with it. I really don't think it will present a problem, however not knowing what the output for the tank looks like, my only concern is that it could possibly roll around and eventually come to block the fuel output line that goes to the engine. Should I worry about this?? Oh, of course, the tank (the standard E 32-200 aluminum tank) is full.

Jarod

Member III
Not sure that it will be of any concern...I would think you would have a screen in there somewhere to keep this type of stuff from interfering with fuel flow. If you have access to the interior of the tank you might want try a magnet on the end of a wire coat hanger or something similar to fish it out. I believe that you can get one of these purpose made tools so that there is no risk of the magnet falling off in the tank, but not positive and have no idea where you could pick it up. I am sure your auto mechanic would know.

Glyn Judson

Oops, lost stainless screw in the tank.

Brian, If your diesel tank is made the way mine is, there’ll a pickup tube that supplies the engine about an inch above the bottom of the tank, so it’s not too likely that a stainless screw would block that intake. As to using a magnet to retrieve that screw, if you find one that’ll work on stainless, patent it and you’ll make a fortune. Magnets don’t work with the majority of stainless marine fasteners. Leave it there, it’ll be just fine. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Jarod

Member III
Magnet will work on some stainless but Glyn is likely right it may not work on stainless fasteners.

Brian K

Member III
Good one Tim! All, the screw is high quality SS - it'll never rust and I'll never get it with a magnet. From your replies and talking with others I don't think there is any problem leaving the little @#*$&*& in the tank. Thanks for the replies.

Dave Hussey

Member III
If the tank is aluminum, I would be worried about the dissimilar metals in contact and the possibility of corrosion to the aluminum...remembering that oil floats on water, there may be some water in the bottom from condensation, etc...:esad:

Emerald

I wouldn't worry too much about corrosion. In my experience, things like the screws that hold the fuel gauge into the tank are apt to be stainless right into the aluminum. I haven't observed any meaningful corrosion at these points, so would think that a screw rolling around in the bottom would not be an issue.

Jarod

Member III
Sounds like the consensus is that this should not pose any issues but it got me to thinking what I would do if it did have to come out. I have one of those oil boy fluid extractor pumps that work on a vacuum. I wonder if you could get it out by running the hose along the bottom of the tank...likely you would hear a change in the sound at the valve on the pump if it plugged the suction hose or depending on which hose you used (larger size)..it might even suck it through.

cawinter

Member III
same happened to me...no worries

I didnt even know I had a screw in the tank until I sucked out all diesel through the gauge hole. I do that now every year using a bent Cu pipe attached to a hose which then attaches to one of those drill pumps. Works great to get everything out. I pump at the bottom of the pick-up well just below the pickup point. Clean tank, clean filter...and no more screw.

No worries.