• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New stereo in 35-3(35-III)

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I just finally purchased a permanent car stereo for the boat. It is a JENSEN VM9312HD. I do not believe in marinized units because they are years behind on features. It is a DVD player with a 7" touchscreen that can act as a second display for my GPS. It plays mp3s from DVD which means I will have about 3 DVDs(replacable) with all my music ripped and stored on my home PC. It receives analog and HD radio. It can do satellite(with box and subscription). It has a media converter to attach and control ipods(if I ever get one). It also has a wireless remote.

Last year I replaced the hunks of rusted metal, fiber and magnets that were the cockpit speakers with shielded marine speakers. They will also have a switch to turn them off while listening in the cabin. I have a set of Cybernet box speakers that came with the boat that are butt ugly but still sound nice. I am presently building new teak enclosures for them.

The question is where to mount the stereo.

It is a normal DIN unit but requires 7" from the bottom of the unit for the screen and abuot 9 inches in depth. I was thinking the nav area would be the best. Build a teak box and attach it under the upper shelf next to the nav table.

Any other creative ideas?

BTW, I do not plan on watching any movies. I just like the screen for the touch stereo control and also the ability to have a second display for the chartplotter. If I ever did move aboard it can also send output to an aux screen.

jkm

Member III
I've often wondered what a winter on the hard with the condom over your boat would be like to live in. Sort of Eskimo like, of course you'll have that state of the art sound system.

Sounds like a versatile system. Get an ipod, heck of an easy way to store and transport your favorite tunes.

John

kelvin5150

1972 E29 - speaker wires

I'm glad to see a post on audio systems...was wondering if I was the only one who cares about tunes on my boat..!!

Any tips on running wires for speakers...?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I ended up building a cusom teak housing for the stereo and mounting it under the shelf in the nav station. It will get varnished like the rest of the interior.

For the cabin speakers, I ran mine through the headliner down the port side. Down the headliner on the stb side and then across under the sole to get back to the nav station. The cockpit speaker wires run across the quarter berth headliner.

Attachments

• PICT1.jpg
    PICT1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 60
  • PICT2.jpg
    PICT2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 58

Mindscape

Member III
Speaker wires

I used the pre-run speaker wires in the interior of my 32. I mounted the stereo itself in the top of a cabinet on the starboard side, so that I could still use the cabinet. the speakers in the interior are small Infinities that have a very small footprint, but separate tweeters and woofers.
For cockpit speakers I ran wiring up thru the stern pulpit and mounted speakers on the rail. this way there was no external wiring any where and I did not have to cut any holes in the cockpit etc. I use the fader to get the music to one set of speakers or both.