• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1988 E35-3 Leak at anchor locker

slincer

I have a 1988 E35-3, I have a significant leak at the compartment for the anchor on the bow. I have pulled off the headliner in the forward compartment and I've been keeping the area dry inside until I can rebed the locker. The previous owner has done this once already. Does anyone have any suggestions? It looks like a problem area due to the size and shape of the locker.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Uh huh...watch the wire passthrough...

I had the same issue - and also planned on pulling out the tub and rebedding it - but I ended up running a bead of (oh no...) silicone around the inside of it.

I ran it around the edge of the locker - and around the base of the port/back pulpit base where the wires go in (the wire hole and around the base itself, so the water does not go down in there) and it stopped (so the project has been pushed back).

This is an area many people miss :nonono: and Ericson's stanchion bases were/are horrible (without drain holes on all of them so the water just sits - and the one in question - it just runs down the pass through - making a perfect leak). :rolleyes:

As an aside - try sticking your head into your forepeak (lay on your side), and look to the high left - check your wiring bundle is out in front of the woodwork, etc - so any water coming in on it drips down the drain - not onto the wood, and into your veeberth.

Try that for now to hold it off until the dry season - then rip it out and rebed it.

Goodluck -
//sse

Duncan

Member I
Leak in the forpeak

I have the same leak in my E34 (1990) and it would seem to be coming from the starboard side stanchion. The PO ran lots of silicone around but to no avail. This summer I will get the anchor pan out and rebed it and the stanchions. Thanks for the heads up.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Yeah, it's really too bad about the stanchions - I have no idea why they did not put a weep hole in the bottom. The water just sits in there, and starts eating away at the screw.... pretty sad....

//sse