• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Newb here.........

TRMN8R

Member II
Hello, just wanted to check in and say hello..........just joined! I'm looking forward to this forum and picking up information as well as participating. I'm just getting back into boating, although this time with a sailboat, an Ericson 27 (1978). I've sailed before but on others boats, so I'm pretty excited about this! Anyway, hope to hear from some of you! Thx!:egrin:

marcusn

Member II
Me too!

I bought my 1975 e27 (wheel steering) in late August '07. As I'm in the midwest, she was on the hard. It appears she'd been on jacks for a year or two. Her history shows she raced. I've had to add a lot back in to her to make this coming season more comfortable for my family and me. I have to say I'm becoming thrilled with the way the luster is coming back!

I've never owned a boat close to this big before, and I'm learning more every night on this site, as well as sailnet's community forum. In my sailing history, I've never simply 'looked' at an ericson. Since I was about 14, I've STUDIED them from afar, and have learned to identify them from a distance that my wife thinks is borderline psycho! I just LOVE these boats. So, this is in a way a dream come true for me. BUT, what a lot of work!

In the fall, I upgraded all the thru hulls with ball valves on the inside (replacing the original gate valves). If you have gate valves, be wary. Consider replacing them next time you're dry. 1) you don't know by looking weather they're open or closed. 2) they aren't as reliable as ball valves. 3) they're getting old!

Another problem I had this winter was freezing water in the skupper line on on the port side. The intense winter/freezing/thawing caused the fitting just under the cockpit to blow!

OK, now the BIGGEST issue.
I put in late May (Northpoint Marina- Lake Michigan) and putt.... putt.... ignition, but no start:-( Now, after almost a complete rebuild on my A4, I'm almost ready to have my first sail! (fingers crossed for good weather this weekend!)

From all that I've read, there are only a couple of other typical trouble points (aside from general fiberglass boats) to look out for on the e27.
1) the keel has an achilles, being that the deep cavity bilge goes nearly to the very bottom in it's rear. I've read that If you ground your boat, be very careful about reversing, possibly breaking a hole thru the back of the keel.
2) early on, I read that the spreaders might cause enough pressure on the mast to 'dimple' it in where they meet.

Other than that, I've read nothing but praises about how this boat is roomy (for a 27 footer), reliable, seaworthy, forgiving, and fun to sail. Not the fastest, but not the slowest either.

I'm simply loving this boat (In her slip now) but have yet to sail her!!!

Marcus
Summer Wind
Lake Bluff, IL

Mindscape

Member III
Welcome

to you both - tons of great stuff here. marcus I'm just up the road from you in kenosha, let me know if you ever come up. either here or via vhf.