• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

MMSI Missing from ITU database

WBurgner

Member III
In late January I acquired a ships license. After 60 days the MMSI data was still not available in the ITU database so I called FCC help line for assistance. The woman that answered did not know that the FCC is responsible for transferring that data to the ITU. Upon my telling her that only the FCC is authorized to make that transfer she offered to check and get back to me. To her credit she did so the next day and confirmed that the data is indeed transferred in batches and that my data would go with the next transfer.

Six weeks ago when the data was still not available in the ITU database I sent an email to the individual listed on the ITU website as the FCC Point of Contact for ITU interface issues. To date there has been no response.

Three weeks ago I tried an email to Marlene Dortch, head of the FCC. To date there has been no response.

Anyone else have a similar problem or have suggestions on a next step to resolve this?

Failure to not have this data in the ITU database negates a significant safety benefit of our DSC radios and unnecessarily increases the risk to our crews should we encounter difficulties at sea.
:mad:

WBurgner

Member III
Finally

I finally had success through the complaint email function on the FCC website. A week after sending an email I received a response stating that my data would be transmitted to the ITU and should be available in their database by 8/15/08. A recent check confirmed that the information is available.

Others in my marina have experienced similar problems with this data transfer and there was a recent entry in the the SSCA newsletter in which another cruiser described a situation similar to mine.

If you plan travels outside US waters and wish to use the DSC features of the newer VHF radios be sure to get your ships license and MMSI well in advance of departure and dog them until you see the data in the ITU database.

Getting the MMSI through Boat US or other similar sources will only work for US waters. Going through the FCC and obtaining a ships license is necessary for international use.

Last edited: