• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Can you help me sail the SF bay?

west

Member I
I am a newer sailor with a Ericson 32 MK 3 in Sausalito. I’m looking for an experienced sailor to go out with me. I know the basics but want to take it to the next level. I have had her out a couple of times but realize I’m green. Anyone want to sail with me? I will crew on my boat. Thanks, West

gfilipi

Member I
Sail SF Bay

Hi West,

I have a 86 E32 MKIII in Pt. Richmond which I'm currently doing an interior remodel and can't take her out for a few months and would be willing to help you. I'm not a pro...I've been sailing for about 3 years and learned from Trade Winds Sailing club and all the ASA courses. I'm very familiar with the boat and how she sails. Email me at gfilipi@cfmc.com

Gene

ref_123

Member III
Cannot sail, but a piece of advice - works for me

Hi West,

cannot sail with you (unfortunately), but I'd recommend to join one of the boats at your club beer cans racing. If you have problems with you local club, South Beach runs races on Friday and Brisbane on Tuesday. It's fun, no pressure and you'll learn a lot.

Regards,
Stan

west

Member I
Sfo

Thanks Gene and Stan. I have emailed Gene and I will check into your sugestion Stan. Sounds good.

FullTilt E28

Member III
Ideas

There are a few different approaches you can take.

First not all of your sailing needs to be on your boat. If you snag a ride on a similar sized boat say for Beer can racing etc you'll learn alot about boat handling and the general SF Bay stuff.

Given the size of the Bay and the range of tidal currents etc it takes time to learn the tricky places vs the mellow places etc. The trick is to not end up in a bad spot and not know it till its gone bad on you. Thats where sailing on other boats will expose you to various things etc.

We own two boats and both my wife and I race on other boats quite a bit simply because thats the nature of SF sailing. Friends need crew and were available we go etc. They often return the favor and crew for us when needed.

Sausilito is pretty mellow till you get out into the main channel between Angel Island and Alcatraz. Racoon Strait can be mellow or a bit of a river ride depending on tides etc. So knowing how to read the tides and being aware of that is a big step in the right direction. Also pay attention to the channel markers over there in Richardson Bay/Sausilito its easy to find mud on low tide if you cut a corner.

Thomas H

Member I
ASA Course

West,
It nice to see you have spent your time and HARD earned money in the buying of a Ericson 32. Do your self and other boaters a favor, invest in your future in a formal ASA class. Here in the Bay we have some of the Finest sailing schools anywhere and one is located in Sausalito. We are now coming into the summer months and we all know what that can bring,AM FOG and afternoon gusts of 25-30.I would "HATE" to see you find yourself in one of those places or situations as mentioned by Full Tilt.
Just my thoughts.
Thomas
Ocean star
35-3

FullTilt E28

Member III
I'm a fan of Spinnaker sailing

A bit Biased given the owner has recently started sailing with me on my racing boat. Regarding pricing I think Spinnaker sailing has the nicer pricing of the groups offering instruction.

That and they will soon have a new fleet of boats. They have just added an Ultimate 24 to their fleet and an Ultimate 20 is on the way. South Beach location.

Sporty boats and good instructors will bring you up to speed fast and give you alot of confidence with your Ericson.

And again sailing is social so stick your thumb out and snag rides as often as you can. Every trip is a learning experience.

west

Member I
Thanks

Hi Folks,
I just got back on the site and saw the new replies. I plan on taking classes, possibly the weekend program. I was told that the Berkley School is awesome. I forget the name?? I had looked it up on line and have it bookmarked. I am green but have sailed as a kid with our family. We owned a 22 footer on lake Erie and spent many weekends sailing and camping out on the islands in Michigan. Sometimes sailing from Michigan to Canada where my family had a cottage. I’ve sailed cats on lakes and rented day sailors in Thailand several times as recently as last November. I’ve only sailed in the bay 4-5 times in a keeled boat. The lovely Ericson. Loads of traffic, current and wind! My request for help on this site was in the hopes that someone would know our particular boat and accelerate the learning curve about the Ericson. I am a newbe and I’m ready to accept advice and help from those who can provide it. Gene, from this site, has graciously offered his assistance and advice. I’d like to thank him now for this courtesy. Thanks a ton Gene! I hope to learn in many ways from those who will teach. Books-internet-experienced sailors. Thanks all.

CaptDan

Member III
Hi Folks,
I was told that the Berkley School is awesome. I forget the name??

OCS - Olympic Circle Sailing.

My two cents:

Ask 10 people which sailing schools are best and you'll get 10 different answers. Some people think OCS is tops; others have found the venue, boats and instructors exceptionally difficult.

Many believe the ASA-based MSA (Modern Sailing Academy) across the Bay in Sausalito the bee's knees. Those who disagree might point to Club Nautique as the best choice because of their charter program (read: 'hey! Buy a Hun*er with NO money down!:cool:)

And what about the cheaper schools like Cass' tucked away in Sausalito's 'Banana Belt?' They've even got an E35II available for rent.

But wait there's more - lots more. The point is to visit and/or talk to several schools. Ideally pick one located as close to you as possible, or a facility near the 'micro-climate' that best suits your learning style. The 'Berkeley Triangle' in July is a might different than - say - Point Richmond just up 'the block.'

And don't fall for the 'US Sailing Is Better Than ASA' - or vice versa. They're both good programs, though differing slightly in teaching style. A BK Certificate (Basic Keelboat) is a nice entre to bareboat companies, but in the end, you might still have to perform a shakedown to prove your competence.

As you can see, I have no particular favorite sailing school; any of them can be good or bad depending on the student's motivation, teacher, location and
any number of subjective opinions.

YMMV.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

N.A.

E34 / SF Bay
2022 update:

The OP will not need this, but for anyone searching this now (it's a good topic, so presumably some will -- I just stumbled across it), a couple of comments:

1. OCSC is now gone; the pandemic wiped it out. Some of their instructors have reconstituted it as Inspire Sailing (https://inspiresailing.com/ ) at the same location and with much of the same charter fleet. They are coming up to speed as of spring 2022 and seem to be preserving much of what made OCSC great. [OCSC had a significant hand in setting hte US Sailing training standards, as I understand it.]

2. The comments above match my own experience: sailing out of Sauslito is mellow, then you can duck into the high winds in the slot, and dive back behind the Marin headlands if it gets too much. Richmond and Alameda seem pretty mellow. Berkeley/Emeryville are quite serious in that one is upwind in 15-20 kts (in the summer) from the minute one pokes the bow out from behind the breakwater. The latter makes for exciting (but tiring) sailing, and also requires a higher degree of preparation to avoid being blown down onto rocks right out of the marina -- this is not hard to achieve with proper training, but it a big part of why OCSC (and Inspire) are known to be more rigorous training programs than some of the other ones.

3. Biased opinion: good training pays off in a lot of comfort in environments that cause a good bit of stress to the less well trained. I have never regretted the (admittedly strenuous) training I got. It still helps me every time I go out, and makes all my trips more relaxed. Separately, someone once said, "the answer I give to people asking what equipment to buy for their boat to help them go faster is always "lessons." "

4. In the bay, four tips:

- If one is new to it, I would be very careful to check the current tables and stay away from the central bay/Golden Gate/Racoon straight (behind Angel Island) when the currents are > 3 kts. It is not fun trying to get home when your hullspeed (in a smaller boat) may be ~ 5 kts and you are sailing against as much as 3-4 outbound.

- In the summer, the wind is very reliable and builds past 10 kts at noon to 15 by 2pm to 25 by 5pm. You can have mellow sailing days just by going out earlier and coming home sooner :) [These numbers are for the slot/between Berkeley and the Golden Gate; Alameda and Richmond will be mellower.]

- If in doubt, be cautious around the South tip of Angel Island; ship traffic can round that corner from out of sight and moves quickly.

- Stay well away from lee shores, notably immediately upwind of Alcatraz (or up-current from the island, i.e. when the current is flooding strongly) -- people end up on the rocks there (especially the (well marked, but...) rock off the North tip of the island) every year. Something like three different boats just last fleet week.