• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

spreader end-caps broken

Jim Baldwin

Member II
I checked Rig-Right and other sources. No-got... whole replacement of spreader kit, $350 clams. Ouch! Here is my solution.

Remove caps, grind off broken ends and reshape. Fill hollow caps with epoxy and drill new holes. Reinstall and that's that... This relocates the shrouds inboard by about one inch. I think this should work and looks a little better than the hay-baling wire.

Attachments

• endcap2.jpg
    endcap2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 215

Jim Baldwin

Member II
Not broken? Now you tell me!

Are you telling me that I fixed the broken end caps that weren't broken? Is the wire-wrap right? Well, that would be a good joke on me and it wouldn't be the first time I fixed something that wasn't broken. Thanks for your replies and next time maybe I'll wait a while for a consensous before I hurry up and fix something. Ha ha.

Bob in Va

Member III
End Cap Capers

As my daughter would say, your siezing wire looks a bit funkified, but I think its primary function is to keep the shroud attached to the cap. I have read that it is supposed to be passed through some strands of the shroud to locate it exactly, but don't see how that would work, as it won't be in quite the same position once it has been tensioned. I think it is more important to get the angle of the spreaders correct - they should angle up a little and bisect the angle the shrouds make at the caps. As you tension the shroud, I believe it slides a little in the groove and equalizes the tension. I put rubber boots on mine to protect the genoa. Mine has handled some pretty strong winds and rail in the water sailing, so I guess it's working OK. The two little holes in the cap are just to attach the siezing wire, as far as I can tell.

Walter Pearson

Member III
Maybe I worry too much, but I would be somewhat concerned about the endcap modification using the holes. Moving the location of the shroud in a inch might not be a big problem from a geometrical standpoint, but not providing a properly radiused surface for the shroud to bear against might be. There is a lot of compressive force put on the spreaders by the shroud and now the contact areas are the edges of the straight holes and some epoxy in between. (Or is the hole shaped to the shroud angles?)

Maybe if the casting was still thick where the hole was drilled would allow some rounding. How thick was it in the area that was drilled? I would guess sooner or later some rounding will take place anyway from the stresses, but it might not be good for the shroud or the spreader while it's doing it. I doubt the epoxy is going to provide much in the way of load support. I think I would at least go up and look at them as the rigging is being tensioned - and also after a hard sail. You did a nice job shaping the end of the cap, but for insurance, it might not hurt to see if there are some original caps around where spars and rigging were upgraded and someone kept some of the old parts. A lot of people don't like welding on cast aluminum, but it can be done, so that might be another option to get the original shape back.

The other disadvantages I see are the limitations on the shroud because it must now be fed through the hole and also if some jury rigging had to be done in an emergency, it might make things more difficult. Sorry about such a pessimistic viewpoint - have been known to 'over-engineer' some things and to worry about too many of those little things. (I have some home-made spreader brackets that I still keep an eye on when I get caught in a good blow.)

'76 E27 "Mejagay"

Jim Baldwin

Member II
Your right, of course

Walter: Thanks for your comments. I think your concerns about my "repair" job are worthwhile and probably right-on. I had already considered some of these things as I was doing this, however, I truly thought the caps had been broken. I suppose I am back to where I started from, looking for replacements.

Actually, the aluminum caps were still quite thick where I drilled them and I did chamfer the edges. With the turnbuckles removed, the shrouds pass through the holes as you can see. I shouldn't need a boot and I like the way they look. I think I am going to go ahead and step the mast, sail it and see...

It is however true, that that I seemed to have screwed-up somewhat. I found this boat sitting in someone's backyard, covered in leaves and full of trash. It was a real wreck and everything seemed broken or missing. After two years of week-end work, she's just about ready to see salt water again. Wish me luck, I'll need it and thanks again for your concern.

Walter Pearson

Member III
Good to know there is some thickness there. My experience is more with the mast-spreader bracket which I remember was cored out pretty well. Sounds like you have it under control - it's certainly worth a try.

Have you examined the brackets closely? There is some history of them fracturing. Make sure when you step the mast that no load is put on the spreaders - this could be where some brackets have received forces other than pure compression.

I can identify with those long repair periods between sails. Best wishes for some well-deserved time on the water. It's always nice to hear of a neglected boat getting back into sailing shape - especially an E27.