• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Stuck primary jib halyard

Steve J

Member I
I have a stuck primary jib halyard in the sheave.
Any ideas wether it has cut a wire groove in the sheave, or
has it wedged off the side?
We might attempt to repair without dropping the mast.
If we can secure the sheave from dropping into the mast
and pull the pin, are there any bearings or other spacers
on the pin that might drop when we pull it.?
What kind of bearing are on on in the sheave?
What size is the sheave and where can I get a new one?
Steve Jones home: 360-423-5156

Attachments

• Masthead Olson34.jpg
    Masthead Olson34.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 714

Poco A Poco

Member I
Steve, that's a spin halyard right? jib halyards exit out below the forestay pin. I would expect the stuck halyard's sheave pivots on the higher location (the ss cover that the coax is snugged against)
Did this stuck halyard saw itself into it's current spot?
Do you have another pic that hilights the area just above the posted pic?
Thanks,

Mark

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here are couple of medium rez pics that Steve sent me in the hope that I could shed some light on this stuck halyard problem. So far I have provided no light at all...

(While it's true that I do a lot of my own boat work, I turned over the whole rigging replacement project a few years ago to a professional rigger.)

I just wish I could help. I wonder if there is something about the jib sheave (just under the fore stay attachment) that has allowed the wire to jump the back side of the sheave and jam? :confused:

Anyone with knowledge of Kenyon spars can comment at any time! :nerd:

It would save both time and money if pulling this keel-stepped spar can be avoided... :cool:

Loren

Attachments

• SteveMastheadCloseup.jpg
    SteveMastheadCloseup.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 126
  • Steve'sMasthead.jpg
    Steve'sMasthead.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Poco A Poco

Member I
The pics just seems to be teasing us...Look at the rope halyard on the portside and then look where the center pin is for the main halyard sheave (the welded spot on the stainless cap that the coax cable is attached to) it must be the angle because it looks too far aft. If there was another sheave for the spin halyard, you'd see just the round end of the sheave pin on the stb side of the masthead.
BTW, This isn't an internal halyard mast, is it?

The slot where the wire exits the masthead is really narrow which I find interesting, you can see some chafe marks in the ss protection bars, has a spinny been flown from it?
I'd have to think it just jumped the sheave, this can happen when hoisting a spinnaker sometimes. Did you have almost a full hoist and someone cranked on the winch a bit more? Is that how it became wedged?
I would think it should be repairable while hanging in a chair (unweight the chair by tying it off to the masthead prior to starting the work) but at the same time but keep in mind that it's not a big deal to pick a mast and you can take the time to go over it completley from top to bottom.
Mark

Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Not worth .02 just a thought

I have no experience on the Olson 34 so keep that in mind.

It looks like the two tab plates have pins that might go through the spar and that the forestay and sheave assemble might be supported by them. If that is the situation the main halyard could be used to steady the mast as a temporary forestay (Keel step might not need that but I go for safety) then the forestay bracket and sheaves could be removed for repair. Someone with experience on this give feedback.

Steve J

Member I
Kenyon Mast section 4270 HP tapered

Anybody know what size sheaves in this mast
and where to get replacements?

Attachments

• full view starboard.jpg
    full view starboard.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 598

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Rope should help, next time

Looking at the most recent photo, it appears that the starboard spinnaker wing halyard has been upgraded to rope, and the the port side one is the old wire. (?)
Given the age of the rigging, *any* remaining rope halyards may have meat hooks. The larger dia. rope is very unlikely to jump a sheave, too.

FWIW, when we replaced all the original wire-to-rope halyards, 3/8" turned out to be too snug in those cheeks/sheaves and 5'16" was just right. We went with ultra low stretch T-900. The 5/16" seems to be holding OK in the old clutch stoppers, too.

Best,
Loren

Last edited:

dwigle

Member III
3 Halyards

Do you need all three halyards? If not, convert another halyard to the jib halyard and fasten the current one to the mast. I doubt that you could cut it close enough that it wouldn't interfere with something. For what it's worth, my 38 used the port spinnaker sheave as a jib sheave for what looked like 26 years until I redid the mast last year. The center sheave appeared unused.

Failing that, you might be able to drive the pin supporting the three sheaves out with a smaller pin which would give you some vertical movement, but there isn't much lateral room if it's wedged to one side. It would be awfully easy to drop one though.

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E38 #8