• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E29 Engine Instrument Gauges

Gmilburn

Member III
I have a panel of three engine gauges on my E29. The water temp gauge is shot and a new wire to the sending unit did not fix the problem. I tried to remove the single gauge as they are pretty inexpensive and simple to replace. But low and behold, I cant get the old one off, even after removing the backing bracket screws and using all my might and a big set of pliers.
So is there some trick to getting the gauge out--or am I destined to replace the entire panel? I've enclosed a couple of pics to help illustrate the situation. Any help would be appreciated--before I decide to replace the entire panel with new gauges and switches.

Gary
1977 E29 "HydroPhilic" Hull #515
Rogers, AR

Attachments

• DSCF3355c.JPG
    DSCF3355c.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF3362c.JPG
    DSCF3362c.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 76

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Once you've removed that angled piece of metal that squeezes the gauge against the faceplate, I don't think there's any magic associated with how it's mechanically held in there. It might have a rubber gasket that's turned to goo and made things sticky.

If the gauge is broken, it's worthless, so my escalation would be (once I had a replacement in hand -- see moyermarine.com if it's an Atomic Four):
  • tapping the back of the gauge with a rubber mallet
  • turning the gauge with a big pipe wrench
  • cutting the #(*&(*@ off with a Sawzall