• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Old Waterline?

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
The attached picture was taken after a couple rounds of paint stripping on the dark paint stripe at the waterline. The sharp orange line is parallel to the current waterline - I wonder if that is a design waterline or an old freshwater waterline mark? The orange is kind of soft when removing paint from it. Not like gelcoat at all. It doesn't seem to be paint, but it may be. I have found a thin layer of orange all the way down to the aft thru-hull location, which still has white gelcoat leftover from the original construction.

Does anyone know what the orange substance might be? We found the same orange color and softness under the blue paint stripe below the deck/hull joint, except there is a nice straight white "racing" stripe (gelcoat, not paint) running through the middle of that upper orange area.

We're using the Interlux Interstrip 299E with mixed results. It clings well, but the dark paint at the top of the stripe in the picture just ignores it - it's been very hard to remove. It softens a little, but the putty knife just glances off until you happen to get an edge with a sharp blade. The clean section, which extends the length of the boat but varies in width, was damaged by removing masking tape at our last haulout three years ago. So about half the blue comes off easily and the rest might have to be sanded and left on. I think this is Easypoxy - at least that is the brand of leftover paint that came with the boat. We're planning to repaint with Brightsides.

If someone can shed any light on the orange stuff we would appreciate it. The upper stripe comes off easier, but was also damaged by masking tape when the hull was being shined up with rubbing compound.

Thanks. This is getting to be a long layup.

Attachments

• BowStrippedOrange01.jpg
    BowStrippedOrange01.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Craig,

The orange stuff looks a bit like the barrier coat that is on our boat. That stuff is supposed to prevent the blisters, but is not entirely effective. I'm not sure what vintage our barrier coat is, but the boatyard told me they have changed the formulation since those days. I'm not positive that is what you have, but it may be.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I saw some funny stuff when I stripped and sanded my hull down. The white gelcoat was applied OVER blue of the cove/boot stripes! Meaning when you cut through the white, the nexy thing you hit was blue.... Except on the port side where there was a yellow layer in between. This was under a previous grey barrier coat job. I didn't get all the old barrier off, didn't need to. The original waterline is 2-3 inches below the current one. Not surprising with the addition of the Mars keel bulb. I'm guessing you are seeing old barrier coat. RT

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Ahhhh - the 80's

Thanks for the comments. I changed my mind - the white stripe going down the middle of the orange stripe at the top of the hull seems to be gelcoat, rather than paint. And the orange certainly seems to be level with the white. So, a barrier coating seems likely. The white seems to be faired over the orange in some areas.

Some of these boats have the color of the accent stripe done in gelcoat. Maybe this boat used to be white with orange accents. I'll post a closeup of the top of the hull tomorrow.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It was not uncommon for a builder to put in more than one cove or waterline area stripe, as fashion or customer order required. Also, it is possible that after the first color was sprayed into the mold, there was some re-communication over what to spray and they shot another color...
I know of one builder that would charge so much $ extra for "mold cleanup" that almost all their customers chose the factory stock white, straight out of the drum. :rolleyes:

Having seen how time, abrasion, and UV treat those mylar tape stripes on so many other power and sail boat models, I am just glad that my particular choices in boats have been from builders that used all or mostly all gel coat colors for trim.

Loren

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Upper hull

The attached shows what was under the blue stripe at the top of the hull. Today the orange felt hard, like gelcoat, now that the stripper has dried for a couple days. I guess it's pigmented gelcoat. It gets softer than the white when the stripper is on it and it scratches easier than the white in the middle.

Unfortunately, we'll have to do something about the spreading of the paint to the non-painted areas adjacent. A mild rubbing compound works ok, but talk about a long time rubbing. Masking hasn't been very effective since the paint has to be scraped so hard to get it off.

I thought about trying heat, but I have heard that doing it wrong will make the paint stick even worse.

Attachments

• UpperHullStripped01.jpg
    UpperHullStripped01.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 33