• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Deck Hatch Repair

ccorcoran

Member II
I'm about to remove my three hatch covers and send them off to Select Plastics to be rebuilt/resealed (less than half the cost of replacement and a good deal easier than pulling the entire hatch). It will take 2 - 3 weeks to get them back. In the mean time, it's been VERY wet here in the SF bay area. Has anyone pulled their hatch covers and come up with an effective temporary cover? My plan is to cut plywood (oversize) and fabricate some kind of eyelet on the bottom and pull the covers down with a bungie cord or equivelent. My hope is that the oversize and the pressure will help keep the water out (may need to use some plastic bagging to create a seal around the temp. covers. Any one been through this before?

u079721

Contributing Partner
I use a system to close off the mast slot after the mast is pulled that might work well.

Cut a piece of plywood large enough to overlap the opening all around. Then glue old innertube material to the underside to make a seal with the lip of the hatch or mast base. Then get a length of 2x4 a few inches longer than the opening underneath, and put a lag bolt through the center of the plywood sheet down through the center of the 2x4. Where the bolt exits the board use a washer and wing nut. If you then tighten up on the bolt you can hold the plywood down as tightly as you like using the opposing pressure from the 2x4. Put a bit of silicone caulk under the lag bolt to keep the rain out.

No leaks yet.