• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New cockpit floor - Progress

jthistle

Member II
Here's the progress on the new cockpit floor. After removal of a peat-bog like substance - 30 year old MUD! A large hole in the inner skin was revealed. I Taped a peice of foamcore (real estate sign) to the underside and started with a 3 of layers of cloth - then added 1/2 inch balsa (wetted out) and installed 3 more layers of 10oz cloth. I didn't bother with the old skin but in hindsight it may have made for a neater job. Now for the fairing - but I'm not fussy - I'm going to build a cedar grate for the bottom so as not to waste too much time fussing about level.

I drilled for and installed new scupper drains. (modified PVC plumbing fittings) and crossed them to the thru-hulls (new hoses too). I chose to glass over the port side drain in the aft "helm Pit"> I figure one drain is enough in that small space and its an extra 6-7ft of hose and another "t" that doesn't need to clutter up the space below.

Now to move the fuel fill outboard on the starboard side between the winches and run to the new tank. (more on that later)

photo
photo

Here are the initial snaps. More later.

Fair winds
jt

Attachments

• cockpit 2.jpg
    cockpit 2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 93
  • cockpit 1.jpg
    cockpit 1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 106

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Nice progress!
Dumb question: how are you going to adhere the new cloth and resin on the bottom of the coring? It looks as though you will be working on your back in a very confined area...

Loren

jthistle

Member II
cockpit

Hi Loren - I started with 3 layers of cloth and resin...(in a lucky moment of foresight...before I laid the balsa core using a real-estate sign - foamcore to cover the hole ) I haven't had any luck glassing upsidedown - 'cept for having to shave my head afterwards.

I've had second thoughts about the balsa and may have elected to use marine ply if given the chance to do it again.

cheers
jt

Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Two more dumb questions.

How did you discover a hole in the lower (ie "inner") skin only after removing the balsa, and what caused the hole? I would expect a hole to have been caused by something pretty severe, and to be obvious.

Why did you remove the lower (inner) skin at all? Seems like you could have patched the hole and rebuilt the core and upper skin fairly easily.

jthistle

Member II
no such thing as dumb questions

I knew the hole was there - I saw it from underneath. Nope...I didn't remove the lower skin. I worked with what I had and did essentially what you said. Patched the hole:

I taped a board up...from under the floor and then started to lay layers of cloth on it - essentially covering the hole and the rest of the sole with layers of mat. Then I proceeded with thickened epoxy and wetted 1/2 balsa. Then... I cut three or 4 more layers of cloth and that's that. My 1.st attempt at a recore and I found out that its not too bad. I could have been a bit neater with the cloth but the grate will take care of inconsistancies.

The soft floor wasn;t that big a deal because there was a grate over the entire cockpit that was laid on sturdy cleats fasted to the sides of the cockpit walls.

I love the questions... keep em up. Explaining myself is theraputic.

Cheers
jt

Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
So that white area on the left photo in the approximate shape of Australia was the hole? What caused that??!?

jthistle

Member II
Australia Hole>

Funny....I never noticed the shape untill now. I have no Idea about the hole. Bought the boat from an estate. PO is not around to tell the story. I was uneven and looked cracked-not cut. Anyones guess - I'd love to hear some conjecture. Strong and solid now. Stay tuned for fairing and painting.

Cheers
jt