• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Engine access hatch E32

S Ellis

Member I
After spending a couple of hours draped over my A4 v-drive changing the water pump impeller, and a few days dealing with an exhaust mainfold replacement last year, I've come to the conclusion that I need to make access MUCH easier!! A water tight hatch in the floor of the cockpit is the option I'm thinking of. Has anyone with an old 32 done this? If so are there any concerns re loss of floor strength, leaks,etc. Any recommendations on hatch brands etc.
Thanks, Steve
Diversion E32-2 #111 '69

Glyn Judson

Fitting a hatch in the cockpit sole.

Steve, A number of us E31 owners have installed a hatch in the cockpit sole, the most substantial being a Bomar hatch. I put mine in years ago and since then others have done the same. Visit our web site at http://www.ericson31.com/ and go to the photos of my boat, hull #55. Scroll down to the one of the open, white hatch. You might be able to tell from the massiveness of the aluminum/magnesium ring and how many 1/4-20 fasteners are in it, that the sole is more rigid now than it was ever was without it. Feel free to contact me back channel at glynjudson@roadrunner.com for more photos of these and other hatch installations that have been done on many other E31 cockpits. Regards, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Steve, you have #111 and I have #112. We both have V-drives but I'm not sure I understand how access through the floor of the cockpit would improve things. My water pump is easily accessible from the cabin, along with the distributor, spark plugs, oil fill, oil level, alternator, and (after removal of the alternator) even the starter.

The manifold and carburetor are accessible through the lazarette after some bulkhead disassembly (and, of course, stuffing myself in there) -- a hole in the cockpit would not help much.