• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Care and Feeding of Dodger Windows

lbertran

Member III
My dodger has Strataglass brand vinyl windows. It was expensive but beautifully clear. I've religiously used the Imar cleaner/protectant recommended by the Strataglass manufacturer but I find that the Imar doesn't remove waterspots completely and after a day or two the windows are a bit cloudy and not as clear as I would like. My slip neighbor uses Plexus spray cleaner on his Strataglass windows and they are beautifully clean and clear and stay that way much longer than mine. He says he's noticed no ill effects from using the "unauthorized" Plexus. I don't want to chance long term damage from using the wrong product on the Strataglass but I'm unhappy with the results I get from the Imar. Any thoughts on how to keep Strataglass looking clear? Thanks, as always, for your insights.

Dan Callen

Contributing Member III
Stratoglass

I use a mixture of Murphy OIL and water. About three or four ounces of Murphy Oil in an average size spray bottle. Spray on and wipe with a clean soft cloth and then polish with another cloth. Cleans crystal clear and leaves a slight finish on the stratoglass which helps in eliminating water marks. Have been using this on my dodger for six years or so with no adverse effects. The local company who does our dodger and bimini work told me about this secret and it works. Dan Callen Ericson 32-3 Andiamo

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have been using Plexus since the vendor introduced it at a discount to members of the YachtList about a decade ago.( As I recall it was two cans for about $20. back in the day.)
It works great on the standard plastic dodger windows and on our hatches and ports. Of course the cost is higher now, but I reccommend it to friends.

Loren

Last edited:

Maine Sail

Member III
My dodger has Strataglass brand vinyl windows. It was expensive but beautifully clear. I've religiously used the Imar cleaner/protectant recommended by the Strataglass manufacturer but I find that the Imar doesn't remove waterspots completely and after a day or two the windows are a bit cloudy and not as clear as I would like. My slip neighbor uses Plexus spray cleaner on his Strataglass windows and they are beautifully clean and clear and stay that way much longer than mine. He says he's noticed no ill effects from using the "unauthorized" Plexus. I don't want to chance long term damage from using the wrong product on the Strataglass but I'm unhappy with the results I get from the Imar. Any thoughts on how to keep Strataglass looking clear? Thanks, as always, for your insights.

There are two treatments for StrataGlass:

IMAR StrataGlass Protective Polish
179710025.jpg

And..

IMAR StrataGlass Protective Cleaner
301.jpg

All I can say is we've seen LOTS (I do some consulting work for a high end canvas shop) of destroyed Strataglass from folks using the wrong products such as Plexus, Meguiar's and Pledge to name a few.

Remember, Strataglass has a very thin optical enhancing film on it to reduce distortion and improve clarity. If you wear it away, what you do when using Plexus, you now have lost the benefits of Strataglass and it's optical superiority that you paid for. While your buddies glass may look good he has eaten away much of the film and UV protection and it is most likely not as distortion free.

Feel free to use what you want but we have had lengthy conversations with our Strataglass rep and heard many "war" stories of destroyed Strataglass.

Use the Protective Polish once or twice per season then follow up in-between with Protective cleaner. The Protective Polish will remove the water spots unless they are acid rain etching which you can do nothing about.

Strataglass has NO vested interest in IMAR they make ZERO money from recommending it. They have simply tested it and find it is the BEST product for their product. They recommend it because they want to uphold their reputation and wearing away the optical coating will not do that..

These windows are now 8 years old and have only been cared for with Strataglass approved products.

Ignore the child and focus on the 8 year old windows (photo taken 3/26/08)!!
97670874.jpg

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Nice product placement. Another shameless promotion for Dora.

Hey Maine, how can I tell if I have strataglass or what?

Maine Sail

Member III
Tim..

It will be rather thick and very optically clear with very little distortion. Even when dirty and slightly scratched it will still not show much distortion. Did the canvas come with the boat and if so do you know who did it.

Many canvas shops will use a product or two exclusively. Seth does not even stock anything but Strataglass these days. Okum Bay made the canvas on our boat (I would not recommend them) and Norm, the PO, specified Strataglass that's how I know how old they are and what they are..

Basically if you can't stand sailing with the dodger up, because it's hard to see things, then it's probably not Strataglass..

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Came with the boat. DPO was clueless when it was made. Does not seem that old and he deffinately had it made but the plastic is not easy to see through. I will show you next week when we are racing. We do keep it down all summer until our cruise in Sep. Basically, I could have done a better job witht he canvas. The bimini is setup all wrong, the connection from the bimini to the dodger was never completed. Heck, the attacment of the dodger to the deck was never completed. I would love to have Seth replace it all but I just cannot justify the funds right now. New anchor, instruments, AP, main sail, rigging will come first.

Heading over to the club to do some work right now.

Last edited: