• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

e23 centerboard

bob naylor

First, Hello to all! New guy here. I bought a 1975 e 23 mk 2 last weekend(WOO HOO) and it only got better when I found the the Sailing magazine 02/07 review and then I found your community. niiice. She is a restoration project in generally good shape. The single biggest project is the missing swing centerboard and related hardware. I saw a new one on idasailor for the e25. Is it possible to modify a salvage centerboard to fit? I don't have any manuals to know the specs. Any guidance would be most appreciated. Thanks, portlandbob

sleather

Sustaining Member
Howdy

Hey Bob, Welcome to the group! Yet another case of a missing centerboard.:confused:
I'm almost positive the E25 is the same board. If not there are some solutions around. May as well familiarize yourself w/ the "Search" function above. I also posted an upgrade for the lifting mechanism a few months back. You can click on a members user name and check-out their previous posts.

You can find the specifications in the "Specs and Documents" section for download and printing. While your at it add your info to the "Owners and Projects" list, we're at about 10% of all the E23's ever made.

Any ???'s, ask away!:egrin:

See this......
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=5421&highlight=centerboard

Last edited:

bob naylor

e23 centerboard info

thanks for the welcome and the input. I am still learning my way around the site and the centerboard replacement options. I have seen that modifying the factory spec weight is a popular option. beyond that it is a bit fuzzy. I'm sure the path will become clear as I learn more. thanks again, portlandbob

bob naylor

custom fabricate cb and rudder?

Now the question seems to be, is it ill advised to have the cb spline fabricated and do the glass work myself? I could buy them online but if I could fabricate them I might get her seaworthy much sooner. It looks like it has been done by members before. I am skilled at wood and fiberglass though not much use at metalwork. Any thoughts? Thanks portlandbob

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
E23 Cb Bob-bob-bob

Bob- Get ahold of Bob from VA, he is a EYO guy. He has plans to build a new cb. He is a great guy and will definantly help you out. Let me know if I can help you out. I just did a total rebuild on my board, very fresh in my mind. Bob Hessenius

sleather

Sustaining Member
ida?

Bob, How much are they asking for the idasailor E25 board? Steve Swann, a member here, has an original steel backbone for sale and lives in Meridian, Idaho.

He also has a "after-market" foam board and rudder on his E25, so you might want to contact him about that possibility. They're composits and a whole lot lighter than the original.

Gordon

Bob - I am currently building a replacement centerboard for my E23, a 1975 hull #210. The orginal was rusted and splitting and close to just falling off. E23's apparently had 2 (at least) centerboards from what I've found - the difference being where the hindge point is. Both pivot points are at the upper end of the board, but earlier 1975 models (mine) had the pin about 1 1/2 inches from one side, while later boats had the pin toward the center. I've seen a picture of an E25 board and it is very simular (if not the same) in size and shape to our E 23's. For my replacement board I'm using a core of 3/8" 304 SS and sandwiching HDMW plastic on both sides - shaping it to match the orginal. Bob Boe, Florida and Steve Swan of Idaho both have knowledge of replacement boards. Steve Swan may even have a 1/4" SS core which he'd sell you - it's a center hole style which could be changed by a machine shop. I didn't buy it from him as I wanted a little more weight in my board without adding lead. I'm in Florence, OR - just down the road from you. Feel free to write me.

Gordon Robertson