• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Repowering with Diesel-Electric Propulsion?

Jan

Hi,
I'm thinking about repowering our '77 Ericson-32 (Atomic-4).
Did anybody consider repowering with a diesel-electric propulsion system (for example Glacier Bay or similar)? I'm exploring this option as an alternative to a common Diesel engine. Any thoughts or information are appreciated (cost, disadvantages, size motor and size generator, etc.). I couldn't find much on substantial data especially in regards to cost and installation details.

Thanks,

JE

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I looked into the different options a few years ago and came to the conclusion that for the foreseeable future an old fashioned diesel engine will be the way to go. It provides a system where you can transport a lot of energy in a small space, relatively safely, and it can be readily converted into mechanical energy driving the boat.

To drive a boat that size any significant distance using electrical energy would require huge battery banks, which will be expensive, heavy, and take up a lot of room. And if the generator is to provide any significant proportion of the energy, it might as well be an engine, since a large percentage of a diesel energy is lost when converted into electricity.

If hydrogen fuel cells become an affordable option, that may change, but that does not appear to be imminent. The principle of a fairly small cell holding enough energy to drive the boat on electrical power for a day, and being recharged at the dock, or with towed propeller under sail, or windmill at anchor, is ideal, but prototype systems were costing about $60000 each in 2005.

I think the electrical motor concept may be worthwhile for smaller boats that are only concerned about getting in and out of their slips, and can save the cost of an engine by plugging in the batteries before every mission and always having the juice they need before setting out.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I would agree. While the future of these systems is bright it would seem that the technology and cost have not caught up with the ideals just yet. Unless you are hemorrhaging cash they likely this is not the route to go. A better idea would be to repower with a Betamarine bolt in diesel for the Atomic if you must have new and then find a local Biodiesel coop and run the engine on that. RT