Galley Sink

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
$ and FisheriesSupply

FWIW, the stated policy of Fisheries Supply is to print only the "list" price. The price when you place the order is lower, i.e. discounted.

Loren

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
FWIW, the stated policy of Fisheries Supply is to print only the "list" price. The price when you place the order is lower, i.e. discounted.

Loren

Yes, that is how they do their printed catalog. You'd have to call them for the most accurate quote because the website could be out of date or incorrect. I've just been confused by the measurements of the Sterling Polar sink I was pricing. Website is different from their 2008 catalog - if my memory isn't as bad as my eyes. I hope the Flitz works - kind of hoping the wife will try it out for me.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Flitz works OK

Interesting experience with the Flitz yesterday. My wife tried it on the badly rusted head sink. It did a good job of cleaning off the rust. It revealed some deeper pitting. The paste worked better when starting off, because it stuck to the area being worked, The liquid was better if there were pits or scratches to get after, one the surface rust was gone. Kind of makes sense. I may gently sand the pits out, now that I can see them.

She said it took quite a bit of hard rubbing.

Captron

Member III
Rusty SS

I like Bar Keeper's Friend for cleaning stainless steel. It's usually sold where they sell Comet and such cleansers. BKF is oxalic acid with a very mild abrasive. It's dry but it can be mixed into a paste for tooth brushing the little corners and what not on lifelines or deck fittings. Works well on sinks too. It will also remove rust stains from fiberglass decks. It needs to be rinsed really well though or it leaves a chalky residue.

If I want really strong rust remover, they sell liquid oxalic acid at Home Depot in gallons or quarts sold as 'Rust Stain Remover'. It can be sprayed on, let sit, and rinsed off. It also works quite well on rust stains whether on fiberglass or stainless steel fittings.

After cleaning say, lifeline stanchions with one of the above, a good coat of wax helps extend the time between cleanings.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Buff your way to Happiness

It turned out to be late fall '08 before I had time to start the galley project...
We are now about to permanently (with sealant) reinstall our refurbished galley sink. Since anything similar was going to cost us about $700.+, we decided to have the existing sink polished out at a local shop. Now it is close to a mirror finish inside and the rim is a mirror.
Cost was a bit over $200.
Here is their URL, and I would imagine that every major city has a similar company. http://www.metalpolishingbytimothy.com/
I had to remove all the drain piping and reattach those parts when I got it back.
The only downside is that the higher the level of polish the more all the little dents and flaws will show up! :rolleyes:

We did not have any major rust, per se, but it was very worn, scratched, and "used" looking after 20 years. The admiral is happy... and now veeeeeery cautious about getting any new scratches on it! ;)

Shown also is our new Scandvik pull-out faucet (the replacement of which was the original genesis for the galley counter rebuild). New Formica top, too.
The usual Ericson water tank vent (actually a chromed brass faucet spout) was eliminated and the vent hose terminated just under the counter -- I figured that it was far enough above the settee tank that no water would ever surge completely out of it.

Loren

Attachments

• side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 144
  • polished sink in place.JPG
    polished sink in place.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
more Galley details

I was looking through some saved images and found that there were some from just before the repolished sink was dropped in.
This is after the new formica counter top was on and new faucet was on. The manifold for the two water tanks is factory stock.

The blue stuff is additional closed cell insulation I added on front, side (where there was room below the side of the ss sink, and aft. This was done before the little frp panel was reinstalled with the Frigoboat speed controller mounted on it.
Note also that the pressure water pump is mounted under that counter nowadays, and not buried under the after cabin berth where the factory put it.

Attachments

• Galley before sink.jpg
    Galley before sink.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 91
  • NewGalleyTop.jpg
    NewGalleyTop.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited: